• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retrieving belongings (including deceased husband's things) from inlaws home...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink11464

What is the name of your state? We are in PA

I am asking for a friend who needs advice. I told her about this page but she isn't sure how to use it. Her husband was recently killed in a motorcycle accident here in Philadelphia. My friend and her husband had been renting his mother's home (no lease - all verbal). After his death (of which he was robbed of his cell phone, wallet and keys at the scene of the accident), she was then kicked out of the home and his family kept all of their belongings (furniture, clothing, TV's, gaming systems, his collection of car memorabilia, etc). I told her to first try and get the items with police, but that mire than likely she would need to file a civil suit. Is there anything else she can do - or a civil suit the way to go? Her husband just passed a little over 2 weeks ago so everything is still raw and emotions are high for all involved. Thank you for your advice!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? We are in PA

I am asking for a friend who needs advice. I told her about this page but she isn't sure how to use it. Her husband was recently killed in a motorcycle accident here in Philadelphia. My friend and her husband had been renting his mother's home (no lease - all verbal). After his death (of which he was robbed of his cell phone, wallet and keys at the scene of the accident), she was then kicked out of the home and his family kept all of their belongings (furniture, clothing, TV's, gaming systems, his collection of car memorabilia, etc). I told her to first try and get the items with police, but that mire than likely she would need to file a civil suit. Is there anything else she can do - or a civil suit the way to go? Her husband just passed a little over 2 weeks ago so everything is still raw and emotions are high for all involved. Thank you for your advice!!
She should start with the police - both for the illegal lockout and for the improper keeping of the items (conversion). Don't just give up on the option because of a preconceived notion that the police won't help.

adjusterjack

She could also open probate of her husband's estate and get appointed representative of the estate. That could give her the power of the court behind her in compelling the in-laws to return the property perhaps without having to file a lawsuit.

At any rate, she should probably be talking to an attorney.

Tink11464

She could also open probate of her husband's estate and get appointed representative of the estate. That could give her the power of the court behind her in compelling the in-laws to return the property perhaps without having to file a lawsuit.

At any rate, she should probably be talking to an attorney.
Thank you!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you know why the in-laws are behaving this way?

BTW: My question is totally irrelevant to the legalities of the situation...I'm just nosy.
I don't necessarily agree that it is irrelevant. In fact, I think it might be an important part of the equation. I'll refrain from speculation without knowing their reason(s) for acting this way.

Tink11464

Do you know why the in-laws are behaving this way?

BTW: My question is totally irrelevant to the legalities of the situation...I'm just nosy. :)
He died in such a tragic way that we think they are just trying to hold on to everything they can of his (as grieving parents would). A gofundme was started to help her pay for his funeral expenses, etc... They wanted to know why they didn't get any of the funds (not like it was an exorbitant amount of money - a little over 4k). He had several cars as he was a car buff (she does have those as they had been together over 10 years), and the family wants a car or 2. So it's a tit for tat situation - sadly, during times of tragedy everyone isn't thinking rationally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">