• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactive change in vacation policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

infomaster

What is the name of your state? Washington, D.C.

I recently resigned from my company. I agreed to stay on for a couple of months to transition my role and in exchange I received a severance package which included a payout of earned but unused vacation time in accordance with the companies vacation policy. Since that time I have learned that the company has subsequently changed their vacation policy, increasing the # of days earned for each pay period. Thi schnage was made on a go forward basis from the date of the change but also retroactively to th eperiod in which I was an active employee. I have approached the company, and asked for them to make a supplementary payment to me that reflects the increase in vacation eligibility for the period that I was employed under the newly instituted retroactive ploicy. I have been told that eligibility is limited to those emplyees who were actively employed at the time of the change in policy and despite the fact that I was employed during the period for which these beneifts were changed..I am not eligible to receive those benefits given that I am no longer actively employed by the company. Is this legal? If not..is there a federal guideline or statute that I can reference?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">