• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return from deployment/ex withholding items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My ex fiancé of 6 years and I lived together prior to my deployment overseas. We broke up while I was on deployment.

1. We lived in a house that we purchased with my money but in his name. I have no rights to the home or the money I put into it. I understand that. But to establish that I had some interest in living there, I paid the downpayment for the home, purchased new windows, and paid several monthly bills. I did not pay rent to him.

2. We had a joint bank account with 5k of my money intended verbally to be used for house repair. He shut the bank account while I was overseas and took the money. I understand I have no right to this money either.

3. The house with my ex was a secondary residence. I had another residence at time of deployment where the other half of my stuff was kept. This apartment was through work and I maintained it through deployment as my primary residence on record.

4. When I returned home, he refused to speak with me but was willing to work with my parents. He blocked my phone number. He returned my cat and a military laptop I needs to turn in. He said he would not allow anyone in the house to get my stuff. He said he would bring it over to my parents. I did not try and enter the home.

5. We broke up February of 2018, I returned to the states in November of 2018. He returned my cat and laptop in December. He has said on countless occasions in writing via text that he would bring the rest of my things over to my parents. He fails to show up every-time.

6. On the latest phone call with my parents he stated he no longer felt comfortable bringing my things to my parents residence. He also did not allow us to come get it from him. He has now requested that I rent a storage unit and he will use that.

7. He has about $8,000 of my stuff at his house.

Question: do I have to get the storage unit and pay for something that I was willing to come get myself? Do I have any legal leg to stand on to get my things back?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My ex fiancé of 6 years and I lived together prior to my deployment overseas. We broke up while I was on deployment.

1. We lived in a house that we purchased with my money but in his name. I have no rights to the home or the money I put into it. I understand that. But to establish that I had some interest in living there, I paid the downpayment for the home, purchased new windows, and paid several monthly bills. I did not pay rent to him.

2. We had a joint bank account with 5k of my money intended verbally to be used for house repair. He shut the bank account while I was overseas and took the money. I understand I have no right to this money either.

3. The house with my ex was a secondary residence. I had another residence at time of deployment where the other half of my stuff was kept. This apartment was through work and I maintained it through deployment as my primary residence on record.

4. When I returned home, he refused to speak with me but was willing to work with my parents. He blocked my phone number. He returned my cat and a military laptop I needs to turn in. He said he would not allow anyone in the house to get my stuff. He said he would bring it over to my parents. I did not try and enter the home.

5. We broke up February of 2018, I returned to the states in November of 2018. He returned my cat and laptop in December. He has said on countless occasions in writing via text that he would bring the rest of my things over to my parents. He fails to show up every-time.

6. On the latest phone call with my parents he stated he no longer felt comfortable bringing my things to my parents residence. He also did not allow us to come get it from him. He has now requested that I rent a storage unit and he will use that.

7. He has about $8,000 of my stuff at his house.

Question: do I have to get the storage unit and pay for something that I was willing to come get myself? Do I have any legal leg to stand on to get my things back?
If it resolves the problem, you might want to rent a storage unit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">