• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return of picture & finger prints records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I was arrested in TN. on false harassment charges (due to retaliation). In this small town we have incompetent magistrate's that issue all warrants.
I had enough proof to show that it was all absolute lies, my lawyer & prosecutor decided to Nolle Prosequi the case.
Until this I had never been arrested and I want all of this removed from any records. How do I go about getting the picture and finger prints returned. I'm over 50, I resent any criminal activity even being associated with my name.
The lawyer said he has never had such a request and brushed it off as did the incompetent magistrate.
The FBI already has my finger prints since I own a few guns & have had a permit to carry one for business.
This is a matter of principles.


Senior Member
The only way to remove any record of your charge is to go through a process of 'expungement'. You will need an attorney and I would suggest that you check around for one that is familiar with the process. However, I don't know if you will be able to remove ALL records (fingerprints, photos, etc.) since you were charged but not convicted. Talk with an attorney.


Police departments are required to maintain fingerprints and mug shots for all persons arrested. They are required to maintain the record for 3 years irregardless of whether charges were filed or not. A state superior court judge can order an expungement of the arrest record but cannot order the file to be removed or destroyed. If after 3 years of inactivity, the file will be sealed and destroyed. But your fingerprints and mug shot will be microfiched and warehoused. I had many occasions while on the bench that I wanted to order an arrest file to be destroyed but I barred by law. Not what you wanted to hear was it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential