• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return of security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrshag777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My former land lord is refusing to return my security deposit even tho the agent he hired completed a final walk through with me and stated in writing that the home was in good condition and that no issues were found. Can he do his?

STEPHAN

Obviously he does it, so it looks like he can ;-)

Is it legal? Don't know, need more information.

When did you move in? What kind of contract did you have?

Did the LL give any reason to not return the deposit?

How long ago did you move out? Did you move out when the contract was up?

FarmerJ

You may well just wait until your states defined time line for deposits and final disposition letters to pass ( unless you already have a letter saying that your deposit is being kept) If the owner has already said they are keeping it then if it was Me and I did not agree because I didnt leave the unit in bad shape I wouldnt hesitate to think about suing in small claims court if the state defined timeline passed with no formal letter from them saying why, and I would ask for full refund because they didnt do it, and if they do send one and you still do not agree with the reasons then file anyway and ask the court that this former LL prove why they are entitled to keep the dep. IN the time being though if you took pics of how nice and clean you left it and the units general condition that would bak you up you should get them printed out now so you will have them for court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">