• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returned check chaos...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jymrym

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

This is somewhat confusing but I will make it brief. Several months ago I wrote a check to an acquantince of mine. He (I'll call him Dick) cashed it at his bank, where his mother happens to be V.P. Fastfoward a month...I get a call from "Dick" telling me my check was returned to his bank and his mother was considering pressing criminal charges. I told him that I would take care of it. I called them and the bank assigned a rep to my case. I told the rep that I was unemployed, recently perm. partial disabled, and basically having a hard time. She seemed understanding and said I would only have to pay the amount of the returned check minus the 20$ fee. I agreed. I made a payment of over half the amount and told her I would pay the rest asap. In the meantime, I had been struggling with odd cash jobs. A client came to me with a job that needed two people. I decided to call "Dick" to help me because I: (A) I felt bad (B) He was struggling as well. Fast foward...I called "Dick" and he agreed. We met so I could show him the job site and set a time for the next day. He asked if I would advance him the 100 I was going to pay him because he had to make an "emergency" deposit in his bank. He also said if I gave him the x amount for the rest of my rtn'd check, he would pay it off for me, personally to the V.P. his mother. I did not want to do it but like a dumba$$, I did.

Later that day I called "Dick" about meeting at the site. No answer. Again. Again. No answer. I finally gave up. Two days later he called me and told me he was arrested and just got out, was kicked out of the V.P's house and was released this a.m. I played dumb and called my lawyer friend to check the jail. No record. He lied and stole my $ and the rtn'd check $. So by now, I'm in a rage. Thoughts of revenge, etc. I decided to wait and think of a rational, legal plan. So here I am feeling stupid. I have to make up for the 100$ lost and figure out what to say to the bank. I'll be damned if I have to pay the rest of that check. I thought of calling his mother, the V.P. and explaining this situation but blood is thicker than water. Take him to court, but it was under the table. Any ideas on handle this? There has got to be a way. Any advice would help. Thanks.

VeronicaLodge

ok, take all the gobbledigook out and the woe is me sad story, bottom line, you originally wrote a check you did not have the money to cover and have yet to make good on the check.

make good on the check and quit whining and making excuses.

Hot Topic

Sounds like Dick figured out a way to get some recompense from someone who had so little regard for their "friendship" that he wrote Dick a bad check.

Dick's mother did the wrong thing. She should have fulfilled her obligation to the bank and pressed charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">