• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returned Check fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Betty Shaw

I live in Los Angeles ,California, I have a written aggreement with my landlord to pay rent by 10th of each month, I have lived in my apartment for 10years and on occasion my payday falls 2 or 3 days later than the 10th and I will always write a note with my check to hold for those few days, in March 2001, that happened and the manager deposited the check 1 day earlier, the check was returned my deposit had not cleared yet, the manager called and informed me of this stating no charges to me because of their error and they would redeposit. The check cleard rent paid and now on 5/5/01 I get a 3 day eviction notice for $75 for that returned check in March that was paid. Do I have to pay or do I have any recourse? What is legal, I am willing to pay just want to know my rights.
Thank You, Betty Shaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential