• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returned Check from 1994

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lookingood

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I received a letter from a collection agency on a check they say was returned from a store 10/24/1994...9 years ago!!!! and was just turned over to them.

Can they still collect on something this old because I don't have a clue if its for real or not since its 9 years old. And if it is true, why did they wait to so long to let me know.

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lookingood said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I received a letter from a collection agency on a check they say was returned from a store 10/24/1994...9 years ago!!!! and was just turned over to them.

Can they still collect on something this old because I don't have a clue if its for real or not since its 9 years old. And if it is true, why did they wait to so long to let me know.

Thanks

My response:

"Dear Collection Agency - -

Please take the alleged check and BITE ME!

Even if it's my check, or my alleged debt, the Statute of Limitations ran out in 2000!

So, don't even think of contacting me again. If you think you can collect, then sue me!

Very truly yours,

lookingood"

IAAL

bigun

Yep, you need to contact this law firm:

Posted by [email protected] (68.22.117.14) on September 10, 2003 at 20:20:12:

We have filed a class action against JBC in federal court in Chicago, alleging (a) misrepresentation of liability under state bad check statutes, (b) threats of litigation on time barred debts, and (c) sending of attorney letters without attorney involvement. The suit is presently on behalf of residents of IL, IN, WI and IA. We are interested in joining other residents of those and other states as plaintiffs and/or filing in other states. There is no financial obligation. You may have to appear for a deposition, possibly in Chicago or wherever a case is filed. You may recover up to $1,000 statutory damages under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, possibly any amounts paid on time-barred checks, possibly other statutory damages under state law (depends on the state), and possibly compensation for serving as class representative.

If you are interested, please send us your collection letters.

If JBC is harassing you, send them a certified letter directing them not to contact you.

If, as in most cases, the debt is time-barred, there is nothing they can do. They are not entitled to sue and their threats are empty.

Daniel A. Edelman
EDELMAN, COMBS & LATTURNER, LLC
120 S. LaSalle Street, 18th floor
Chicago, Illinois 60603-3403
(312) 739-4200
(800) 644-4673
(312) 419-0379 (FAX)
Email: [email protected]
www.edcombs.com

This communication may constitute advertising.

ConnorW

Re: Re: Returned Check from 1994

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

"Dear Collection Agency - -

Please take the alleged check and BITE ME!

Even if it's my check, or my alleged debt, the Statute of Limitations ran out in 2000!

So, don't even think of contacting me again. If you think you can collect, then sue me!

Very truly yours,

lookingood"

IAAL
LOL. Owww. Laughed so hard my neck hurts from getting rear ended last week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">