• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returned product, company won't send refund.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrminiquad

I am an Ohio resident who returned a product to a small business in Virginia with the promise of a full refund. It has been 6 weeks since the item was received, and I have been in contact with the individual almost daily. He has promised that a refund check has been mailed (overnight and certified mail) countless times. The amount is $625. Last weeks' excuse is that they didn't have enough money in the checking account. Small claims doesn't seem to make sense, as I am not guaranteed a collection. This product was for my young daughter's ATV, and the lying/stealing on the motorcycle shop is driving me mad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

I would attempt to find out the owner of the business, then send him a letter (certified RRR) detailing the situation. Include all documents of conversations, names, dates and promises made. Ask him to get involved (a lot of owners are not aware of the day-to-day happenings) and give him a reasonable time (5 days from receipt??) to respond.

If he doesn't respond or refund, regretfully, you have probably learned a good lesson in paying for something across state lines. Then, you will have to determine whether it is worth the time and expense of litigating this matter.

J

jrminiquad

Thanks for your input. Unforunately, the business is pretty much a one-man operation, and it is the owner that is hosing me. I have everything documented, and got the BBB involved. Unfortunately, there is nothing more that they can do on their end, since he would not respond to their attempts to contact him. Any other suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">