• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returning a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I bought a new car last year, and at the time I was working in Mass. Now I live in Flordia an am not working. I haven't been working for over a month now and don't know what to do. I have two car payments and credit card payment. Also the monthly bills lights etc.
I was wondering just what would they do to me if I let one of the cars go back? I did file for bankrucpy in 1995.
Can they make me pay the car and can they attach my wagers once I find a job. Also I will be retire in one year can they attach that wage?


Sad Truth of the Matter

Hello cd1l

The finance company lent you the money for the auto purchase. Their judgement may have been based in part, as they do in most instances, on good faith and the ability to be repaid in full.

Their judgement may be flawed in some cases but they do have the right to attempt, by all legal means, to collect.

Whether they have the legal ability to attach your retirement income would best be determined by an attorney who practices in this area of law. Seek legal counsel on this matter.

They lending company does have the right to reposes the car and note your credit file as such. They also have the right to attach future wages as a means for collecting all or part of the outstanding money still owed them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential