• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reveal of some characteristics of an invention

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Billy Tsifer

I am working on a new idea with my partner. We used to discuss it through common types of messengers, I cannot refer them for obvious reasons...

Now, it happens that the company I work for, probably buys information from ISPs about what we do on the internet for "protection". It also happens that the company is so well organized, that the people who check this data discuss it with friends in the company. For example, a troll comes to you and tell you the person who you were talking to last night and what you have discussed. I also talked to the partner about a colleague in the messenger that he is a psycho and the next day some people was asking questions and some other rushed to cover all the stuff...

We have managed to find a secure way of communicating now. Unfortunately, 30 -35 % of what we were talking and it will be on the product patent has been revealed to them through the messaging software. We have changed the external design, but they know some of the details. For example I was ordering 3d prints from a website, and they were probably able to see them or maybe download them from the download link. But these prints have either changed or changed dimensions. I have kept photos of me, the print and a newspaper or in front of a TV with a date in the screen as soon as I got the prints.

What should we do in order to avoid any surprises in the future? Tell them as many false stuff about the invention to troll them back if they patent something similar in the future??:D:D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am working on a new idea with my partner. We used to discuss it through common types of messengers, I cannot refer them for obvious reasons...

Now, it happens that the company I work for, probably buys information from ISPs about what we do on the internet for "protection". It also happens that the company is so well organized, that the people who check this data discuss it with friends in the company. For example, a troll comes to you and tell you the person who you were talking to last night and what you have discussed. I also talked to the partner about a colleague in the messenger that he is a psycho and the next day some people was asking questions and some other rushed to cover all the stuff...

We have managed to find a secure way of communicating now. Unfortunately, 30 -35 % of what we were talking and it will be on the product patent has been revealed to them through the messaging software. We have changed the external design, but they know some of the details. For example I was ordering 3d prints from a website, and they were probably able to see them or maybe download them from the download link. But these prints have either changed or changed dimensions. I have kept photos of me, the print and a newspaper or in front of a TV with a date in the screen as soon as I got the prints.

What should we do in order to avoid any surprises in the future? Tell them as many false stuff about the invention to troll them back if they patent something similar in the future??:D:D
1) US Law Only
2) Yours is not a legal question. We are not a tech support forum.
3) In the US, the invention probably isn't yours to begin with.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
hmm, what is the meaning of this phrase? we have proof that we were talking on this idea with the partner long before they began sniffing at our conversations
Your employer was monitoring you while you worked on the invention on company time?

FlyingRon

Your photos and newspapers are entirely meaningless.

Once you disclose some aspect of your "invention" to others, it ceases to be novel. It then is not patentable by anybody.

I suggest you STOP talking about it and get yourself to a patent attorney to see if there is any patentable claim and get at least a provisional application in place before you go on.

Billy Tsifer

Your photos and newspapers are entirely meaningless.

Once you disclose some aspect of your "invention" to others, it ceases to be novel. It then is not patentable by anybody.

I suggest you STOP talking about it and get yourself to a patent attorney to see if there is any patentable claim and get at least a provisional application in place before you go on.
besides, all the patents of similar products, do use facts that are used on other product and refer to the way they innovate on a specific part..and what is revealed through ISP network to them is just ideas. We have changed the shape many times since we managed to get good protection on online conversations

Or maybe find a middle man(close friend), who they do completely do not know him. The attorney will make the patent on his name, then we will make a company and buy the rights from him in order to pass the patent rights on the company..

Last edited:

quincy

besides, all the patents of similar products, do use facts that are used on other product and refer to the way they innovate on a specific part..and what is revealed through ISP network to them is just ideas. We have changed the shape many times since we managed to get good protection on online conversations

Or maybe find a middle man(close friend), who they do completely do not know him. The attorney will make the patent on his name, then we will make a company and buy the rights from him in order to pass the patent rights on the company..
Are you located in the US? If so, where?

When you discuss ideas that you want kept confidential, you should not do it online - and you should have nondisclosure/confidentiality agreements firmly in place.

Are you saying someone intercepted plans for your invention?

FlyingRon

It doesn't matter if you tweaked it. Any disclosed part is not novel. Unless your additional refinements constitute a patentable claim on their own, you're screwed.
I have no clue what you are talking about. No sane attorney would do what you seem to be intimating.
You seem to be ignorant of the basic tenets of patent law. If you have something you think is valuable stop mucking around and get a proper attorney involved.

quincy

It doesn't matter if you tweaked it. Any disclosed part is not novel. Unless your additional refinements constitute a patentable claim on their own, you're screwed.

I have no clue what you are talking about. No sane attorney would do what you seem to be intimating.
You seem to be ignorant of the basic tenets of patent law. If you have something you think is valuable stop mucking around and get a proper attorney involved.
It DOES appear a consultation with a patent agent or patent attorney is necessary. The agent/attorney can determine if there is anything in Billy's idea that is actually patentable - and determine if a provisional patent application should be filed.

justalayman

Now, it happens that the company I work for, probably buys information from ISPs about what we do on the internet for "protection". I:D
what are you even taking about? If you are in the US, if you use your employers isp account there isn’t much you can do to protect the data as it is their account. If your own isp and account, what you suggest isn’t happening.

quincy

what are you even taking about? If you are in the US, if you use your employers isp account there isn’t much you can do to protect the data as it is their account. If your own isp and account, what you suggest isn’t happening.
The only thing that is sort of clear from the posts is that, while some people are able to file a patent application on their own, Billy will want and need assistance from a patent agent/attorney. The applications require knowledge of patent drafting rules and some skill.

It is relatively easy to come up with ideas for inventions but there are many steps in getting these ideas from the brain to patent, and the steps required are rarely easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">