• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse Mortgage heir on non-recourse loan.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David Miller

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, USA
My father passed away many years ago, so my mother lived by herself in a mortgage free home. The rest of the family didn't know she got a non-recourse reverse mortgage several years ago. She borrowed on the reverse mtg. and never made payments to the balance. She died recently and this is when we, my brother and I, found out about the reverse mortgage. She owed way more than the 65 year old house was worth, plus, to sell it, it needs a new roof, plumbing, electrical, etc.

There was no probate court and my brother and I do not want the home, so it is being foreclosed. We have been served a summons to appear in court, so we each wrote a letter to the court saying we have no interest in the property at all. The lawyers for the plaintiff ( Mtg. Company) is suing for foreclosure. They have sent everybody that has ever been associated with that house notifications of the lawsuit and foreclosure. We are in the clear because my brother's nor my name appears on any deeds, loan, etc.

We have filled out paperwork and done everything asked of us.Today, in the mail, I received two pieces of mail from the plaintiff's attrny. The first piece stated, " PLAINTIFF'S MOTION FOR JUDICIAL DEFAULT ". The second piece stated, " MOTION FOR DEFAULT " and contained a service list of everybody or every company to ever be associated with the house(The Defendents) Since this is a non recourse loan, are we still liable for anything?

What are these 2 pieces of mail? Do I need to do anything with them?:confused:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, USA
My father passed away many years ago, so my mother lived by herself in a mortgage free home. The rest of the family didn't know she got a non-recourse reverse mortgage several years ago. She borrowed on the reverse mtg. and never made payments to the balance. She died recently and this is when we, my brother and I, found out about the reverse mortgage. She owed way more than the 65 year old house was worth, plus, to sell it, it needs a new roof, plumbing, electrical, etc.

There was no probate court and my brother and I do not want the home, so it is being foreclosed. We have been served a summons to appear in court, so we each wrote a letter to the court saying we have no interest in the property at all. The lawyers for the plaintiff ( Mtg. Company) is suing for foreclosure. They have sent everybody that has ever been associated with that house notifications of the lawsuit and foreclosure. We are in the clear because my brother's nor my name appears on any deeds, loan, etc.

We have filled out paperwork and done everything asked of us.Today, in the mail, I received two pieces of mail from the plaintiff's attrny. The first piece stated, " PLAINTIFF'S MOTION FOR JUDICIAL DEFAULT ". The second piece stated, " MOTION FOR DEFAULT " and contained a service list of everybody or every company to ever be associated with the house(The Defendents) Since this is a non recourse loan, are we still liable for anything?

What are these 2 pieces of mail? Do I need to do anything with them?:confused:
No, you are not liable for anything. There is nothing you need to do.

justalayman

When a property is foreclosed on the creditor names anybody they may have any interest in the property so there is no chance somebody got missed and pops up to make a claim later. It's merely a formality if
You have no desire to retain the property.

David Miller

Reverse Mortgage heir on non recourse loan.

Thanks. I kind of figured that. Since we told the Reverse mtg. company from the beginning that we had no interest in the property, they still threatened to file a law suit. Since my mother died( November 2016), I have received 120 pieces of mail! I kept saying, "It is not my loan"
I appreciate your response. Thanks.

Ps. I gave the reverse mortgage company the address to the cemetery where my mother is buried.:)

STEPHAN

This is totally normal. They have to do this. Your letters that you have nothing to do with is are not legally binding, therefore you could sure them later on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">