• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

'Reverse' question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MomOfHalfDozen

I am an adult adoptee who has found my birthmother earlier this year. Things couldn't be going better. However, I'm also curious about my biological father, although not curious enough to attempt to find/contact him just yet. I do have his name (given to me by b'mom). If I should decide to attempt contact, I have a few questions about what might happen.

1) Could my b'mom get in trouble for giving me his name? (I'm thinking privacy laws here)

2) I know I have NO right to force him to see me and would NEVER approach him in that manner. However, for my and my children's sake, I would like a medical history (which is all I would ask for). Would I have a right to pursue medical history in the courts should he deny my request?

Again, at this present moment, I am not going to make any 'moves' to contact him (I can only go on my instinct that this isn't the right time). I am just wondering what the potential 'fall-out' would be regarding the two
questions above. My biological mom lives in Va, and she believes that my biological father still lives there as well.

I realize that there are real people with real problems/questions throughout this Forum that need responses for pending court cases, but if someone has a moment to answer my curiosity questions, it would be so very much appreciated. Thank you.

LegalBeagle

MomOfHalfDozen said:
I am an adult adoptee who has found my birthmother earlier this year. Things couldn't be going better. However, I'm also curious about my biological father, although not curious enough to attempt to find/contact him just yet. I do have his name (given to me by b'mom). If I should decide to attempt contact, I have a few questions about what might happen.

1) Could my b'mom get in trouble for giving me his name? (I'm thinking privacy laws here)

2) I know I have NO right to force him to see me and would NEVER approach him in that manner. However, for my and my children's sake, I would like a medical history (which is all I would ask for). Would I have a right to pursue medical history in the courts should he deny my request?

Again, at this present moment, I am not going to make any 'moves' to contact him (I can only go on my instinct that this isn't the right time). I am just wondering what the potential 'fall-out' would be regarding the two
questions above. My biological mom lives in Va, and she believes that my biological father still lives there as well.

I realize that there are real people with real problems/questions throughout this Forum that need responses for pending court cases, but if someone has a moment to answer my curiosity questions, it would be so very much appreciated. Thank you.
Simple answers..

1. No
2. No.

Since he adopted you, there is no court that would force him to do anything in regards to your requests. However, approach him nicely and chances are he will give you the information you want...

M

MomOfHalfDozen

Thanks for your answer Legal Beagle.

When/if the time comes, I have all intentions of approaching him nicely, just as I did my birthmother. I was just wondering about the answer to a 'worst case scenario'. As of right now, the way I figure the medical history situation is that all my life I haven't had a family history AT ALL. Now, having found my birthmother, at least I have half of one. I feel truly grateful, and blessed, to have that much. So you see, I'm already 50% better off than I was, and if it stays that way, then maybe that's okay too. *s*

Thank you for your time and advice.

M

MomOfHalfDozen

Thanks lawrat. That was very informative, and may be extremely helpful in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">