• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reversing decision on terminated parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pal123

Eight years ago, my children was taken and placed into foster care, because I was using drugs. The agency
responsible for taking the children promised me that if I
sought help and rehabilitated myself, the children would be returned to me. While going through the transition, I became homeless. Not able to keep the visitation appointments, my rights were terminated five years ago for abandonment. I have been drug free and fighting for them to be returned. If they are adopted by the foster parents, what are my chances of getting my children back? At this point, where do I go with limited funds to get help?
Thank You,
Cynthia T.
New York

[Edited by pal123 on 11-26-2000 at 03:42 PM]

LegalBeagle

If there was an adoption then your chances are nil. If there was not, then your chances are slim to nil unless you now live in a nice stable home, have a stable family, job and environment.. AND have the money to fight for the child. Even then, some courts will not see you getting better as sufficent grounds in change of circumstances to warrent a change in custody if the child is currently in a stable environment.

Without a very stable home, family and job.. and with lots of money, your chances are very slim to nil.

MySonsMom

I need to add...These children have been living in a home for 8 yrs...have stability and a family, why would you want to take that all away from them? Geesh, I know you are their birth Mother, but come on.

T

Tigres

MySonsMom said:
I need to add...These children have been living in a home for 8 yrs...have stability and a family, why would you want to take that all away from them? Geesh, I know you are their birth Mother, but come on.
We are assuming the children have been with the same family for 8 years?

pal123, if you had kept up visitation, you might of had a chance. But as it is, it's not likely.

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/fk/sunny.gif

MySonsMom

Tig: I just have a hard time accepting circumstances like this...Just really really really hard for me to understand.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Not only that folks, but remember, this mother had court ordered rehab. All good if she did the rehab but she has to go back to court and have this documented that she completed it to the satisfaction of the court.

I was working on one case with the PD where both parents had court ordered rehab, anger management and parenting classes. THe father had enough smarts to go back to court and have this recorded. He now as a child custody court decree and since the mom didn't do the same, she is being charged with child abduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">