• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reviving A Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColoradoDude

Colorado

Civil County Court

Hello,

Just less than 6 years ago a money judgment was ruled against me in county civil court (6 year s.o.l. for collection). I really haven't heard from the Creditor in all this time and expected them to file for a motion to revive judgment. I'm pretty informed about the process by which a Creditor can get a revived judgement. They must file a Motion then serve the debtor (me) with paperwork allowing me to answer why I don't think the judgment should be revived. That process is a required step in the Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure etc. I learned that a motion was filed and that the judge revived the motion stating something along the lines that the "Defendant didn't answer." Let me be 100% clear here...I was not served process nor did I receive a copy of the motion in the mail. No service, not personal, substitute or by publication, nothing! The court records also show that there is no affidavit of service attached to the motion or considered by the court. How is it possible that a judge would rule in favor of reviving the judgment when a required step (process) was clearly not given? I mean, I feel that I've a solid defense to put in a motion to set aside the revival of judgment (I think that's how I'd word it).

I'd like your thoughts and information. To make it abundantly clear as I'm sure I'd hear "consult your attorney." I cannot afford one, that's not an option. I'd have to pro se this. I have successfully been a pro se defendant in civil court before so it's not an entirely unknown. I'm just really perplexed as to how a judge would rule as he/she has. It's gotta be wrong, willful or othewise.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Colorado

Civil County Court

Hello,

Just less than 6 years ago a money judgment was ruled against me in county civil court (6 year s.o.l. for collection). I really haven't heard from the Creditor in all this time and expected them to file for a motion to revive judgment. I'm pretty informed about the process by which a Creditor can get a revived judgement. They must file a Motion then serve the debtor (me) with paperwork allowing me to answer why I don't think the judgment should be revived. That process is a required step in the Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure etc. I learned that a motion was filed and that the judge revived the motion stating something along the lines that the "Defendant didn't answer." Let me be 100% clear here...I was not served process nor did I receive a copy of the motion in the mail. No service, not personal, substitute or by publication, nothing! The court records also show that there is no affidavit of service attached to the motion or considered by the court. How is it possible that a judge would rule in favor of reviving the judgment when a required step (process) was clearly not given? I mean, I feel that I've a solid defense to put in a motion to set aside the revival of judgment (I think that's how I'd word it).

I'd like your thoughts and information. To make it abundantly clear as I'm sure I'd hear "consult your attorney." I cannot afford one, that's not an option. I'd have to pro se this. I have successfully been a pro se defendant in civil court before so it's not an entirely unknown. I'm just really perplexed as to how a judge would rule as he/she has. It's gotta be wrong, willful or othewise.
I suspect that you don't understand the process.

single317dad

http://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/PDF/JDF%20112%20Instructions%20for%20Reviving%20a%20Judgment%20R7-13.pdf

http://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/Supreme_Court/Rule_Changes/2010/2010(06)%20strike%20and%20add.pdf

http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite%3Fblobcol%3Durldata%26blobheadername1%3DContent-Disposition%26blobheadername2%3DContent-Type%26blobheadervalue1%3Dinline%253B%2Bfilename%253D%25222012%2BCRCP.pdf%2522%26blobheadervalue2%3Dapplication%252Fpdf%26blobkey%3Did%26blobtable%3DMungoBlobs%26blobwhere%3D1251898775851%26ssbinary%3Dtrue

Personally, I would ask the court for a hearing to vacate the order reviving the judgment. Whether you actually received papers in your hand, the court may still have adjudged you as "served", perhaps because you didn't update your address. You would be best served by consulting with a local consumer debt attorney to review your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">