• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revocation of PHI release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewsk

What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

To revoke PHI release, can I send something like this to a doctor through his office messaging system:

"This message is to serve as a revocation of any medical records releases I have signed. Effective February 7, 2019, no releases signed before this date shall be considered valid for processes occurring on this day or after, unless signed again at a later date."

I really do not want to return to this doctor's office unless I have to. He is a mean, hateful person and I found out after going there that he has been in trouble with the ama before. I feel I have reason to mistrust them in usage of my personal health information records. Can I send the above electronically or do I need to use a certain form and go there?

quincy

What is the name of your state?
North Carolina

To revoke PHI release, can I send something like this to a doctor through his office messaging system:

"This message is to serve as a revocation of any medical records releases I have signed. Effective February 7, 2019, no releases signed before this date shall be considered valid for processes occurring on this day or after, unless signed again at a later date."

I really do not want to return to this doctor's office unless I have to. He is a mean, hateful person and I found out after going there that he has been in trouble with the ama before. I feel I have reason to mistrust them in usage of my personal health information records. Can I send the above electronically or do I need to use a certain form and go there?
You have the right to revoke authorization at any time, even if your original authorization form included an expiration date.

The revocation should be a formal letter written and signed by you and sent through the mail (certified, return receipt requested can be best). You should not send notice of revocation through the office messaging system.

No one on this forum can assist you with the drafting of your revocation of authorization letter. For that you need an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

It could be important to note that a revocation may not be effective under certain conditions (e.g., if any entity or person has already acted in reliance on the authorization or if authorization was given as a condition of obtaining insurance coverage).

I am sorry you have had problems with your doctor. I can think of no reason why you would have to return to his office.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">