• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

revoke a claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmeehanjr

We may have mistakenly filed a claim several years ago, right away when determined our tub leaking, anticipating it would be major work, and hearing if not reported right away, may not be accepted. Anywho, it was fixed by the condo association, and no monies paid on the claim.

Can we revoke that claim? Or will remain on record i assume?

Reason i ask is we may have another situation with a leak from washing machine and just discovered resulting floor damage.

thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We may have mistakenly filed a claim several years ago, right away when determined our tub leaking, anticipating it would be major work, and hearing if not reported right away, may not be accepted. Anywho, it was fixed by the condo association, and no monies paid on the claim.

Can we revoke that claim? Or will remain on record i assume?

Reason i ask is we may have another situation with a leak from washing machine and just discovered resulting floor damage.

thanks!
Why do you feel that you need to "revoke" the prior claim?

dmeehanjr

I thought as a point of record, as no monies were paid on the claim - better to not have it.

Bigger question is if better to report potential water damage right away...or wait to see what damage and costs may be. (not clear if by not reporting/claiming right away, insurance can say it was a long standing leak that was known about, etc indicating negligence - or best to report/start a claim right away).

adjusterjack

Your claim was most likely Closed Without Payment. You can't "revoke" it. It will stay on your insurance record but it will show $0 paid and isn't likely to be used against you unless you pile up several water damage claims and become a high risk for water damage claims.

Bigger question is if better to report potential water damage right away...or wait to see what damage and costs may be. (not clear if by not reporting/claiming right away, insurance can say it was a long standing leak that was known about, etc indicating negligence - or best to report/start a claim right away).
Your policy says report claims promptly or words to that effect. Promptly is in the eye of the beholder. You can certainly wait a few days to determine the cost of repairs and find out if the HOA will pay for it again.

With regard to your washing machine, don't call it a leak, call it a malfunction that resulted in floor damage. The insurance adjuster may still determine that it's a long term leak anyway. No need to give him a head start.

dmeehanjr

thanks! if i determine malfunctioning hose is bad in back, or loose, and source of water ...ok to address/fix that before starting claim for wood floor damage? or best to let adjuster see the entire scenario...

adjusterjack

Take photos and do the repairs so you can use your washing machine.
;)

Keep your receipts for parts or the invoice if you pay someone for the repairs.

dmeehanjr

Turns out unit below me has same issue...wood flloor bucklling in laundry area - but no ceiling damage on his end. I thought maybe the building water line, or drain there connecting the floors laundry drain. HOA has not responded yet . Downstairs guy has asked if I found the leak. Cautious of negligience as HOA not responding,, it feels like onus on me to initiate finding the leak....if i should start my claim, to get an inspector out. to review? Or hire a leak detector...i assume there is such a thing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">