• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revoking Company Paid Insurance ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tawney1111

I am in Michigan, I work for a corp. with 9 employees. Besides the founders, three of us were covered by their "perk" 100% co. paid health insurance. As of 9-19 I was told that because I have alternative means of insurance (my husband), that my coverage will be cancelled. I am the only one this is happening to. Two other salaried ladies do not have the insurance (one never did, the other voluntarily dropped it) because of being covered by their husbands.

I was not married when I hired on and received the "perk". Now, they are selectively removing my coverage. Is this discrimation and illegal????

ALawyer

This is really an employment law question, NOT an insurance question.

BUT in general an employer may hire and fire and change terms and conditions of employment at will. While they can not do so based on age, sex, race, religion, etc. this may well be COST.

If your employer instead said to you "We have to reduce your hours" or "Insurance is very expensive and we have to cut costs and I no longer will pay for the insurance of people not rated A+" you would be out of luck.

Just a practical bit of advice. If you make a fuss is the employer likely, especially in this climate, to cedide to save more money by eliminating your position....?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">