• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Riddle & Assoc. keep calling me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nibroc

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hello,
I've recently recieved a phone call from Riddle & Associates. The "automated" message said to contact them regarding a legal matter. Well, being the nervous wreck that I am, I spent the whole night worrying about this. I felt I better find out as much info on this company before I contact them. Funnily enough, when I "googled" them I only came up with a very simple, and uniformative website. Freeadvice.com is where I eventually ended up. I've searched the forums and found out who they are (debt collection) and what they do (harrassment). I've done my research, but I'm not quite clear on the SOL laws in Arizona i.e. what "exactly" they mean. Do they apply to me etc...

My only quess is that Riddle & Assoc. are after a video rental late fee that I made in Oct. 2000. Believe me when I say this, I have no other outstanding debts other than this. So i'm pretty confident this is what they are after. Is there anybody out there that can give me information on my options, SOL in AZ, or maybe some piece of mind? Thanks for your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Nibroc said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hello,
I've recently recieved a phone call from Riddle & Associates. The "automated" message said to contact them regarding a legal matter. Well, being the nervous wreck that I am, I spent the whole night worrying about this. I felt I better find out as much info on this company before I contact them. Funnily enough, when I "googled" them I only came up with a very simple, and uniformative website. Freeadvice.com is where I eventually ended up. I've searched the forums and found out who they are (debt collection) and what they do (harrassment). I've done my research, but I'm not quite clear on the SOL laws in Arizona i.e. what "exactly" they mean. Do they apply to me etc...

My only quess is that Riddle & Assoc. are after a video rental late fee that I made in Oct. 2000. Believe me when I say this, I have no other outstanding debts other than this. So i'm pretty confident this is what they are after. Is there anybody out there that can give me information on my options, SOL in AZ, or maybe some piece of mind? Thanks for your time.

My response:

Arizona has a 6 year Statute of Limitations on written contracts, of which this is one. You're on the hook. Pay up.

IAAL

N

Nibroc

Ouch... let's only hope there hasn't been too much interest added. I'm assuming the original fee was about $5.00. Thanks for your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Nibroc said:
Ouch... let's only hope there hasn't been too much interest added. I'm assuming the original fee was about $5.00. Thanks for your time.

My response:

Oh, you can bet your first born male child that the pay-off is going to be far, far more than $5.00. Figure on the principle amount, interest, costs of collection and anything else they can legally tack on. You're probably looking at around $200.00 or more.

IAAL

Ladynred

I wouldn't be too certain that you KNOW what the scum at Riddle wants. Riddle does collections for CAMCO, a known junk-debt buyer - junk debt that is usually 10-15-20 years old ! They are also notorious for harrassing the wrong people for ancient debts. You need to find out exactly what it is they want, and if you have even the slightest doubt of the legitimacy, you need to make them validate the alleged debt, unless they tell you its from the dark ages, then you send them a cease and desist.

N

Nibroc

Thanks for the reply, I am very certain this call is either regarding that particular debt, or does not involve me at all. I'm only 21 years old and dont have much credit history, so i'm fairly certain this is it. If only they were open on the weekends. Then I would be able to find out what this is all about.I've never had any kind of legal problems, so you can say i'm a bit nervous. Wish me luck.

N

Nibroc

Hello folks, Just an update on my situation. Turns out they were looking for someone else. Consider that bullet dodged. Allthough I did get quite a bit of good information in the process, thank you all for your invaluable help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">