• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right of way across neighboring land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dagwood

What is the name of your state? California

Hello. My family has been living on the same property for a century. The neighboring property used to belong to my father's aunt until her passing in the year 1998. In 1999 the house was purchased by a new owner. From the start the new neighbor was making demands about the road, wanting my family to repair it for them to drive their vehicles very quickly on.
The afternoon of April 19, 2006. a gate was put up across the road without notice at the edge of the neighbors property trying to stop our useage of the road. My sister had to telephone the local sheriff's department to have to gate reopened. For now the neighbor wants the gate kept closed all the time. There is a rude posting on the fence post about keeping the gate closed.
Can the neighbor completely close off the road that my family was been using for many years?
Thank you...What is the name of your state?

justalayman

Dagwood said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello. My family has been living on the same property for a century. The neighboring property used to belong to my father's aunt until her passing in the year 1998. In 1999 the house was purchased by a new owner. From the start the new neighbor was making demands about the road, wanting my family to repair it for them to drive their vehicles very quickly on.
The afternoon of April 19, 2006. a gate was put up across the road without notice at the edge of the neighbors property trying to stop our useage of the road. My sister had to telephone the local sheriff's department to have to gate reopened. For now the neighbor wants the gate kept closed all the time. There is a rude posting on the fence post about keeping the gate closed.
Can the neighbor completely close off the road that my family was been using for many years?
Thank you...What is the name of your state?
Well, we need more info and clarification.. Who owns the road. Are there any deeded easements? Is there independent access to a road for each property?

If you are crossing the neighbors property, yes, they may be able to stop you but also inversely, if he is using your property, you may be able to stop him.

It depends upon the questions I posed.

So until you come back with the info, I'm going to go make myself a sandwich.

D

Dagwood

Right of way across neighboring land

Hope your sandwhich was good....

You did answer my question.. The neighbor does own the section of the road in question. There is only one road that was built by my father's grandparents. The neighbor only has an easement that begins on another neighbor's land in which they also make demands too.
Would you believe most of this started when they moved in and thought that they could ride their horses on my families property. My father told them no... You would know what would have happened if we agreed to it and their horses stumbled on the uneven ground..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">