• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right or wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ct

Been divorced for 14 years, Ex is to pay 1/2 of all medical expenses within 30 days of reciept. Needless to say, this never happens despite me copying all the bills/copays I have paid. (I can honestly say I received a check for $7.00 ONCE within thirty days of giving him the receipt.) Every year at tax time he wants his "tax deduction" which order states "if he is current" he can have the exemption. After years of repeated battles at tax time in order for me to collect what he owed me before I signed the exemption over (happened every year. He NEVER pays until he knows I won't sign over the exemption until he is paid up, then it takes 2 months to collect before I can file my taxes). I finally gave up! Past two years, I give him until Dec 31 to pay, when he doesn't I simply file my taxes and wipe his slate clean of what he owes "until he next year". His half most years is $1,000-1,500. I figure he really is paying it since it comes out of his income check pocket anyways. I no longer get mad, he gets annoyed at first when I won't sign but never says another word after that. Peace at last :) Is this a fair and reasonable way to settle this?

CJane

Well, that depends on what EXACTLY the order says re: him being "current". Does it state he must be current on medical bills, child support, what? Is there a child support order? Is he in arrears?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">