• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to be screwd at work state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

memaul

My wife and I work for a well known restaurant chain,She is a manager with the company,and she has been for a couple of years.She does not have a food handlers certification card,and never has.this is the way she was hired into the position,as was most of the other managers.I understand that this is important to have,but now the company has sent a news letter to all there restaurants that all managment must take the class and get certified at there own expense.And if they refuse they will be demoted and there pay rate cut.I would think that they would have to request that they get this before they give the position.And that since the company gave the positions without asking if they were certified,then the company should pay for the class.Its not very expensive, its just the way there going about it.One manager has already been demoted and his pay was cut because he refused to pay for it himself.Can they do this? We live in Florida

[This message has been edited by memaul (edited April 09, 2000).]

ALawyer

I don't know FL law, but in most states non-union employees are "at will" and that means the can fire you or cut your salary at any time for any reason or no reason, so long as it is not prohibited discrimination. Not fair, but that's the way it is.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">