• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to Know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Senior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
My ex has moved out of his mothers home and in with his girlfriend and child or children, not sure how many, I think 2.
We have 50/50 custody currently and are coming up on our evaluation.
There is pending: custody, CS, and another issue of the divorce in the courts.
Our current order states nothing about moving or notification.
I have no idea where they are living. I believe still close though.
He has yet to change his address through the courts.
His atty. has gotten him by on a few served court orders and no responses for him moving and us sending to old address, which has caused plenty of time wasting.
What options do I have?
Without specific wording on the CO, do I have a right to know where child is residing on his time?
For the purpose of proper service, should/can I send a letter to he or his atty. requesting a current address?


Senior Member
Is it possible to just send the papers to the attorney and ask that he serve his client? During my divorce proceedings, all 'service' was done via fax from one attorney's office to the other. (I'm in a different state though) For our current proceeding, I had my ex served by the sherrif, but his response was served to my attorney and then to me.

RE: The address question - without a court order stating that you have to have the address/etc, then no, I'd imagine that you can't force him to tell you where he's living. However, I'd make sure that requirement was in the final parenting plan, along with language stating that visitation hinges on you having that info if you can get away with it.


Senior Member
I do not have the court order here. I will verify, but I believe it stated his times to be at his mother's residence. It was not put in there as a "supervised" issue. Just stated since that was his current address. I'll check when I get home.
My concerns are as to where our child is at, of course, and also, I'm a concerned about his care. Ex's mom is basically his caregiver on his time. There is a much greater bond to her than ex.
Plus, ex has a past history of mental illness and drug abuse, at least being at his mother's home made me feel safer.
I guess this can all be addressed in the custody mod. and evaluation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential