• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laundryboy

Location is Utah. Yesterday I went to eat at a fast food restaurant, After ordering my food I went to use the restroom. There was a sign on the door that said to ask for the key, which I did. About one minute after I entered, an employee knocked on the door as he used his pass key to enter. I expected him to say something like "Oh excuse me" or "Sorry". However while I'm standing facing the toilet he come up in an aggressive manor ad asks if I have the key, to which I replied yes. I freed up one hand and reached into my pocket and handed him the key, he then left.
It took a couple of seconds for the situation to sink in but I became quite mad. I went to the counter and we argued. As it escalated other customers who were in line left. He was also using foul language, but that's probably irrelevant. He told me to leave the place which I did. He then followed me to my car. As we left the building he said now I can really tell you what I think of you. He then proceeded to threaten swear and berate me. He was yelling at me within six inches of my face and also stood in front of my door as if to block my entry. I told him to get away from me and he finally went back into the building.
So I'm curious about opinions as to his actions, particularly invading my privacy while using the facilities or following me to my car in a threatening manor.

Just Blue

Location is Utah. Yesterday I went to eat at a fast food restaurant, After ordering my food I went to use the restroom. There was a sign on the door that said to ask for the key, which I did. About one minute after I entered, an employee knocked on the door as he used his pass key to enter. I expected him to say something like "Oh excuse me" or "Sorry". However while I'm standing facing the toilet he come up in an aggressive manor ad asks if I have the key, to which I replied yes. I freed up one hand and reached into my pocket and handed him the key, he then left.
It took a couple of seconds for the situation to sink in but I became quite mad. I went to the counter and we argued. As it escalated other customers who were in line left. He was also using foul language, but that's probably irrelevant. He told me to leave the place which I did. He then followed me to my car. As we left the building he said now I can really tell you what I think of you. He then proceeded to threaten swear and berate me. He was yelling at me within six inches of my face and also stood in front of my door as if to block my entry. I told him to get away from me and he finally went back into the building.
So I'm curious about opinions as to his actions, particularly invading my privacy while using the facilities or following me to my car in a threatening manor.
This is not a crime...rude and bad business...but no crime was committed. Give the District Manage of the chain a call and tell him/her what happened.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can complain to Corporate and they might give you some coupons for free food and an apology. There is no recourse available to you through the legal system, if that's what you're wondering.

laundryboy

When I got in my car I actually dialed 911. I was told that since any perceived threat was gone that they would still send an officer out but it could be an hour, so I left.
Anyway thanks for the replies, I just wasn't sure about any privacy violations that may have happened when I was in the bathroom.

xylene

Should have said:

"Hold your horses pal. I'm on the can. The key? You'll get the key when I'm done in a second. You gonna stand there and watch me poop you pervert?"

The time to be assertive is in the moment. You however escalated the situation, enough that other customers felt threatened.

I think you should be glad the police did not have time to investigate this minor incident. It really might not have wound up in your favor.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Should have said:

"Hold your horses pal. I'm on the can. The key? You'll the key when I'm done in a second. You gonna stand there and watch me poop you pervert?"

The time to be assertive is in the moment. You however escalated the situation, enough that other customers felt threatened.

I think you should be glad the police did not have time to investigate this minor incident. It really might not have wound up in your favor.
per the OP he was taking a leak. Guys pee in front of each other all the time...

laundryboy

I appreciate other points of view. I definatly did escalate the situation, something I wouldn't do again if I could have a do over, but I was pretty upset about his intrusion. Thanks for the replies, time to move on.

quincy

per the OP he was taking a leak. Guys pee in front of each other all the time...
Not ALL the time. Haha. :)

If this was a single bathroom with a bathroom key (no stalls), you do not expect someone else to enter the bathroom.

The employee should have waited unless there was a very good reason to intrude .. but it appears both acted poorly and should be ashamed of themselves for making others feel uncomfortable or scared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">