• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to refuse alterations to property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharkme

Situation TLDR:
Landlord wants: To make 'repairs' / alterations to the unit while I am rending the unit.
I (tenant) want: To not have anyone entering my unit unless there is significant cause to do so.

Details: Rented a unit a week ago and now it seems(from talking to the landlord) that he is planning on doing 'repairs (improvements)' / maintenance while I am renting the unit. Don't know exactly the full extent of modifications being intended to be done, but I am not talking about the something-broke-and-needs-fixing type (leak under sink, smoke detector broke, bird shattered window, etc ...). I am suspecting that they are planning on doing things such as: Upgrade the smoke detector, replace the blinds, replace the light fixtures, install shelving in storage spaces, install bug nets on the windows, etc ....).
I don't want any modifications done. I do want things to be fixed if they brake in the future.

Question is: Can I refuse the landlord's notice to enter for the situations listed above ? What is OK to refuse and what is not.
The likely relevant law is 59.18.150 which states:
"The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter into the dwelling unit in order to inspect the premises, make necessary or agreed repairs, alterations, or improvements".
So it appears that the question is which ones of the mentioned scenarios are "necessary" ? I would imagine I can refuse the landlord to repaint the unit or to remove a wall and probably can't refuse to fix a leaking toilet / sink / roof. So, just how much can I refuse - what is a good guideline to follow on what is refuse-able and what not ?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So, just how much can I refuse - what is a good guideline to follow on what is refuse-able and what not ?
The statute does not specify exactly where the line is, and I find no case law that specifies that either. So unless you want to be the test case (and spend the thousands of dollars that would cost if the landlord wants to fully litigate it) I suggest you not refuse the repairs/improvements unless they are going to truly be a serious burden on you. I’d take a practical approach of accepting those things that are, in the grand scheme of things, not that big a deal. If the landlord wants to replace a fire detector, replace an appliance, paint one wall that has patches on it, etc, I'd not object to anything like that. Those are fairly simple changes that do not take a great deal of time and should not terribly inconvenience you. If the landlord wants to demo a whole room, or something else that would be truly disruptive to your use and enjoyment of the premises, that would be where I'd draw the line, unless the landlord can specify why that is truly necessary to do now.

LdiJ

That sounds like the smart thing to do for sure. But I'm wondering about the legally accurate answer anyway.
The reality of things is that anything where they are in and out in a day, without generating a lot of mess and dust is unlikely to be regarding as a problem. However, anything that makes a huge mess and disrupts your use of one or more rooms for multiple days is likely to be a problem and therefore someone you can refuse.

xylene

They all seem reasonable except the shelving. Make a quiet stand on the shelving and ask they dont do that, and be prepared for them to insist...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">