• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights as a university resident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am attending University in Newfoundland canada, and live in residence. I have a fairly loud stereo, and have been known to have partys in my room. Recently at my last party, a housing official paid a visit to my room, and told me my mucis was at an unexceptable level, even though we were still having loud hours, and the R.A.'s (residence assistances) said it was at an approperate level for a friday night. She then entered my room without permission, and started to take digital photos of my room and my friends without their consent. She then told me that i would have to get everyone out of the room, or she would call campus enforcement on me. Really the only thing i was in violation of was the fire regulation.
we did have to sign a contract before moving in, and there is one clause in it
"students shall not make or permit or allow to be made in the residence any noise, howsoever caused, which in the opinion of the director oh houseing, or his/hers's delegate, disturbs the confort of the other students in the residence ...

I am not certain if i was in violation of the clause because my music never disturbed the comfort of any of the residents.

Did she have a right to enter my room, and take pictures?
thanks for any help
[email protected]



Read what you just typed again. Pay attention to the word "opinion". It doesn't say it actually had to disturb someone's comfort (and did you take a anonymous poll of each and every person hearing your noise to prove it didn't?).

In addition, you are in Newfoundland, Canada which the last time I looked was not in the United States. Canadian laws are different.


Senior Member
Look in your provincial government web page for either landlord tenant information OR to see if they have a local ministry wich can direct you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential