• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of Someone arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

traci201

HI. My husband received a postcard from our local police department saying there was a very inmportant matter he should take care of. He called then and they told him that a local video store had signed a $1000 Felony warrant out on him. He went down the very next day and voluntarily turned himself in. He was very coporative with the police and done what he thought was the right thing.

Now our local DA's office has him listed but they have it listed as a misdemeanor. Also our local newspaper printed his name, addres and all his personal information in their "who's been arrested section."

When I called our newspaper to straigten it and explained that he wasn't arrested but he voluntarily turned himself in and we would like a retraction I was told that they did not need his permission to print his personal information in the paper. To which i responded that if they didn't retract or correct the information my attorny would definately be in contact with them.

I would like to know what our rights are on this.

If anyone has any advice for me please I really need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">