• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of Unwed Teen Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ohiogirl

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Does my 16 year old pregnant teen have to list the father on the birh certificate? What rights does the father have to the child. The father is also 16. Thanks.

S

sad grandmother

My 16 yr.old son got his girlfriend pregnant and she is 14,she had the baby in Aug. and she did not want him or us to see the baby because they broke up,but we want to be in the babies life and she refuses.I took my son to a lawyer and we filed papers to have the right to see the baby,because she is a minor and so is he I have to sue the mother on behalf of the daughter to see the baby.we were also told that we can file for 50/50 custody.
How does the other grandmother feel about the baby?.
I know my heart is so broken because we already missed out on the birth and this baby needs us to love and help support also.
I think they feel threatened that we will try to take the baby from her,but thats not the case unless she is not taking care of him I think she should have her child because all children need their mothers but they also need their fathers in their life.
I'm sorry If I told you something that you didn't want to hear,but I'm on the other side of the fence and I want my son to know that he needs to fight to have his son in his life and he needs to be there for him.Good luck.I know this is very hard on the parents when we are the ones that have to do all the fighting for our kids.our kids lost their child hoods and now there are these little people who have to pay for them wanting to grow up so fast.also who is supporting the baby?

A

amc822

Listing the father's name on the birth certificae will acknowledge that he is the father. He will be obligated to pay child support and will have visitation rights. Leaving his name off the birth certificate will only mandate a blood test for paternity should a legal situation arise and he will have the same rights and responsibilities anyway. She doesn't have to put his name on the birth certificate but it may prevent one step in the legal process later on.

Grace_Adler

In most states, it doesn't matter if his name is on the birth certificate or not. In most cases the only way he can pursue his rights is to sign an Affadavit of Paternity or have a paternity test done. Chances are you can list his name on the birth certificate but it won't give him any rights. Not until paternity is established by one of the ways I mentioned. Once it has, he has the right to file for custody and visitation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

"My 16 yr.old son got his girlfriend pregnant and she is 14 . . ."

I just love heartwarming stories like this.

Ah, yes, children having children. No parental control, and kids left to do things on "animal instinct."

Yes, it's a wonderful, and beautiful Christmas type story, that just gives me the warm fuzzies. Doesn't this make you feel good all over too?

IAAL

I

Illinois Dad

Sigh...reminds me of "Christmas On Walton's Mountain".

Goodnight, John Boy...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Illinois Dad said:
Sigh...reminds me of "Christmas On Walton's Mountain".

Goodnight, John Boy...

My response:

Yes, isn't it terrific?

One horse open Sleigh rides to the Department of Child Services, Welfare checks under the Christmas tree, Guardian ad Litem coming down the chimney, and Food Stamps in her stocking !

What a "Hallmark" card that will make!

"Condums roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your underwear. Yuletide carols being sung by a boy with raging hormones, and folks dressed up like biker idiots, with tattoos on each arm."

Wow, I wish I had such wonderful, caring, and thoughtful parents like that. Sex education 101 - - who needs it?

IAAL

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
ohiogirl said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
Does my 16 year old pregnant teen have to list the father on the birh certificate? What rights does the father have to the child. The father is also 16. Thanks.
Well..... your 16 yo pregnant teen didn't get that way alone. The child is not *hers*. It's also part *his*. His rights and responsibilities are similar to hers. To grow up in the next few months, figure out how to support and raise a child, and do the hard job of being parents.

You and her husband, and his parents, have the job of supporting the two of them, and encouraging them to live up to their responsibilities.

C

craftymom

ha ha! GOTCHA!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
The correct spelling of the word is condOms.....with an 'O' after the 'd'....not a 'U'.

Really, how is anyone supposed to take your advice seriously if you can't even spell a common, simple word that most children learn by the age of twelve?

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
although......

condUm does have a certain ring to it.... especially when one is dUmb enough not to use one.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: ha ha! GOTCHA!!!

craftymom said:

The correct spelling of the word is condOms.....with an 'O' after the 'd'....not a 'U'.

Really, how is anyone supposed to take your advice seriously if you can't even spell a common, simple word that most children learn by the age of twelve?

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

My response:

I used the Latin form of the word.

Bite me.

Did I spell that correctly?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">