• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to a home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tate75

Illinois
I bought a home for my mom however she is technically still married to a man in another state. They haven't been together in years.
For tax considerations I would like to add my mother to the title of the home for a Senior citizen exemption and tax freeze. Would her "husband" in another state (PA) have any rights to that house while he's alive or would some of his other heirs have rights to the house should he die?
thanks for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Illinois
I bought a home for my mom however she is technically still married to a man in another state. They haven't been together in years.
For tax considerations I would like to add my mother to the title of the home for a Senior citizen exemption and tax freeze. Would her "husband" in another state (PA) have any rights to that house while he's alive or would some of his other heirs have rights to the house should he die?
thanks for your help!
Perhaps...

I would suggest that you find another way to avoid taxation.

LdiJ

Illinois
thanks for your help!
She should get divorced before you make her the gift of 1/2 of the house. Although, gifts do normally remain separate property.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She should get divorced before you make her the gift of 1/2 of the house. Although, gifts do normally remain separate property.
Not necessarily as she would spend marital funds on upkeep.. thus making it marital property to a certain extent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">