• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to destruction of Fingerprints

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drakencross

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law): Texas

I recently had applied for a Texas drivers license and they now take all ten fingerprints instead of just thumbprints. I deeply regret letting the state hold onto those prints, and would like to turn in my drivers license and have those records destroyed once i no longer have the "privilege" to drive and have a identification. However they are being evasive on the subject ( i was literally told "I don't know" when i asked about this on the phone and she wouldnt answer) and they havnt replied to any of four emails over the past few weeks. What rights do i have to destruction of these prints? For personal security ( you cant change biometrics like you can ID numbers if there is a data breach! Or say even mis-ID matches from prints from a crime, it could happen!) and for privacy reasons.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I recently had applied for a Texas drivers license and they now take all ten fingerprints instead of just thumbprints. I deeply regret letting the state hold onto those prints, and would like to turn in my drivers license and have those records destroyed once i no longer have the "privilege" to drive and have a identification. However they are being evasive on the subject ( i was literally told "I don't know" when i asked about this on the phone and she wouldnt answer) and they havnt replied to any of four emails over the past few weeks. What rights do i have to destruction of these prints? For personal security ( you cant change biometrics like you can ID numbers if there is a data breach! Or say even mis-ID matches from prints from a crime, it could happen!) and for privacy reasons.
Not gonna happen. Welcome to the system.

Ladyback1

Hun? You are going to have to have some sort of photo ID--regardless of where you live!
So, how will you solve the ID issue?

Drakencross

Hun? You are going to have to have some sort of photo ID--regardless of where you live!
So, how will you solve the ID issue?
I'm actually suppose to relocate again at the end of the year, i'm not really that concerned about the ID thing, ill just get a new ID then, i have all my other legal documents. Business relocates me. I'm concerned more about tying up lose ends.

commentator

THe great state of Texas has passed this law. I bet they didn't make provision for giving anybody back their fingerprints and removing them from the system when they passed it, either. Mainly because dumping a new requirement like this on their Motor Vehicle Driver registration system probably wasn't accompanied by any increase in funding to cover the increased work load. Therefore, they're not even getting them all into the system, running way behind, and going crazy trying to do the impossible. You've thrown your particular fingerprints into the ocean and now you ask them to jump in and pick them out. I doubt it.

justalayman

The problem:

Even if you relinquish your drivers license the will retain the record of your license, including your fingerprints. Simply giving up your license does not turn back the clock and undo everything involved with your license

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And "I don't know" is an appropriate response to a question that very likely rarely gets asked and for which there is no provision in the regs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">