• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ripped off and need an out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mytch

California,
I signed a contract with a family law firm after an initial "legal" consultation with the person who signed the contract on the their behalf. This person is not an attorney, is the contract valid?
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mytch said:
California,
I signed a contract with a family law firm after an initial "legal" consultation with the person who signed the contract on the their behalf. This person is not an attorney, is the contract valid?
Thanks

My response:

Are there attorneys in the law firm, or is it just the "paralegal"?

IAAL

mytch

there are attorney's. I don't know the credentials of the one who signed , only that he is not an attorney. The firm's owner has a questionable past, i.e. suspensions , public reproval, 2 year probation

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mytch said:
there are attorney's. I don't know the credentials of the one who signed , only that he is not an attorney. The firm's owner has a questionable past, i.e. suspensions , public reproval, 2 year probation

My response:

You don't need to be an attorney to sign up a new client. That's why attorneys, like myself, hire paralegals. Secondly, you hired the law firm. What this all boils down to is that your attorney is still allowed to practice law, and you have a contract.

That's all there is to it.

IAAL

mytch

I'll take any out

Honestly, I've been misrepresented, and I'm not just whinning. I need a way out of this contract to hold them to reasonable fee's. I am not trying to get away with anything. I'm not talking about "alittle mistake" or "not getting things my way". I became a training tool for this firm on one of the most important days of my life and the attorney folded. I just want out fairly and a chance to get a better attorney.

mytch said:
Honestly, I've been misrepresented, and I'm not just whinning. I need a way out of this contract to hold them to reasonable fee's. I am not trying to get away with anything. I'm not talking about "alittle mistake" or "not getting things my way". I became a training tool for this firm on one of the most important days of my life and the attorney folded. I just want out fairly and a chance to get a better attorney.
Hhhmmm, I believe the appropriate phrase here would be "Buyer Beware," wouldn't you? Why didn't you find out how much this law firm charges BEFORE you signed a contract with them?

My advice? Read your contract with a fine-toothed comb (not literally)--especially the small print. Maybe you can find a loop hole that will give you an "out." Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">