• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ripped off by fake attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa B

I hired an attorney ( so I thought) to collect on my judgement from a civil case and he has died. I hired him in December 2018 and gave him 2,500. Since then I have tried to get any info on how they were proceeding with my case and have been basically volleyballed back and forth between the two people. I wanted to send them a certified letter releasing him from our contract. He moved and I have had no way to send this letter. I have asked for my files back to no avail. What do I do?

quincy

The attorney is dead, right? Was your case file passed onto another attorney in the firm or did the dead attorney's business die with the attorney and all client files remain with the paralegal who worked for him?

You are probably best off hiring a new attorney who can retrieve your case file.

Does your question have anything to do with personal injury or wrongful death? I am not seeing a connection.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Someone told me" is hardly conclusive.

There are lots and lots of people out there, for example, who refuse to believe that a public defender is an attorney, but they are. How do you know that this "someone" is right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">