• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Risks of getting married ( scam possibility ? )

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

issamou47

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Hello !
I'm Algerian. I met a girl from Las Vegas online and we're in a relationship now.
We've been together for some time and she seems genuine.
Her parents are deceased. She was trying to get her parents inheritance but her father stated she must be married to get it.
We both are in a financial difficulty now ( so she knows I have no money to give her ). Seems like the executor of her parents will found a solution for her to get the inheritance.
She asked me if we can make a marriage certificate that lasts only 90 days ( without marrying for real ) so she can get her inheritance and supposedly I'll get some of it to help myself. I proposed the possibility of getting married for real ( and of course get that certificate more "legally" ) and she wasn't against the idea.
Since we still didn't meet in reality, and I can't put blind trust in her yet.
What are the risks for me ? is it a scam method ? what if we really get married, can she threaten me with it legally later ? like paying some expenses for divorce, alimony or something like that later ?
I won't send anything to her for any kind of "fees" to get the inheritance, and she told me that all the fees are covered by the executor when I asked her if there's any.

ps: it's not that I don't want to get married, but our relationship is a bit new I still don't have strong evidence that she's not some kind of scam.

Thanks

adjusterjack

This is an online relationship?
You've never met her in person?
She wants you to phony up a marriage certificate with the promise that you'll get part of the inheritance?

I have a much better deal for you. See, it's not common knowledge, but I actually own the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. It's been in my family for generations. I am the last of my line with nobody to leave it too and I'm no longer in a position to handle the administration of the toll booths which generate a guaranteed income of hundreds of thousands of dollars a day. I'll lose it to the city if I don't find someone to take over the administration. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Send me a cashier's check for $5000 and I will send you the quitclaim deed by return mail as soon as the check clears.

If that doesn't tell you what I think of your girlfriend's (if it even is a girl) offer, I'll spell it out for you.

It's a SCAM.

Dump this person ASAP and never look back.

issamou47

Thank you for your answer,
I'm not blind thankfully haha, but the thing is she didn't ask for any money and I'm asking in case she doesn't ask for it even later.
Obviously if she asks for anything I'll know directly it's a huge scam, but since she seems genuine and I had videocalls with her already I want to know what are the risks of getting married ( for real ) to a person ( if that person plans to do something bad ).
Thanks again

adjusterjack

Marriage is two people in a boat. She pokes a hole in her end and you both sink.

The risks of getting married are the same for anybody getting married. Multiply it by ten for a long distance marriage.

If you want any kind of future with this woman, I suggest you figure out a way to relocate to Las Vegas, get a job, support yourself, become a resident, date her for a year or two, then decide if you want to get married. And DON'T get involved in any of her scams or get financially involved with her at all.

By the way, Las Vegas is a cesspool of crime, cheats, liars and thieves. Be careful. She hasn't asked you for money yet, but it will come, when she has you wrapped around her finger.

issamou47

Okay thank you so much for your answers !
I'll be careful from now on and avoid any kind of engagement.
Cheers !

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds exactly like a scam email I got once. EXACTLY.

You're not "in a relationship" if you never even met her. That's totally ridiculous.

Cut off contact with her and forget about the whole thing.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
We both are in a financial difficulty now ( so she knows I have no money to give her ). Seems like the executor of her parents will found a solution for her to get the inheritance.
She asked me if we can make a marriage certificate that lasts only 90 days ( without marrying for real ) so she can get her inheritance and supposedly I'll get some of it to help myself.
You already know one thing about her: she's willing to lie and scam someone to get what she wants. Her story does not hold up well, though I won't get into the details of all the red flags in it. But even if it were true, she's telling you that she is willing to commit fraud to get the inheritance (and the executor is willing to go along with that, apparently). That could be prosecuted as crime in pretty much any state in the U.S. (and you did not say in what state the will was being probated). You do not want to get roped into being part of that fraud. And if she's willing to commit that kind of fraud to grab some money from her father's estate, you can be pretty sure she'd have no problems lying to you to get something from you. After all, the two of you aren't really all that close yet. And given the red flags in her story, I'm betting she's lying to about all this to set you up for scam. If I were you, I'd not waste another moment with this woman and would drop her like a hot molten chunk of lava.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Oh goody!

Sounds like she watched "The Engagement Clause" (2016) over the holidays.

Since you don't have money, and she doesn't have money, and she would need to sponsor your fiancé visa and you would have to pay for travel (we don't do proxy marriages here)… this is not a plausible plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">