• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roaches in apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sassyb

Well I live in an apartment building thats 50 years old. The electrical wiring is also 50 years old. You can smell burning when nothing is even on lights flicker constantly. We have told the manager and the corporate office. But no one will do anything. We have many issues carpet thats over 20 years old. Flooring needs to be fixed asap as it is creaking and alot of soft spots in the floor. We tr*ed calling cose enforcement but they redirected us back to the manager. We tried calling inspectors for housing they did the same. We have mold around the toilets things constantly break even after they were just fixed. I don't know what to do any advice and dont say move because I'm just not financially there to do that or wlae I would have
I just moved into an apartment 4/6/19 and discovered that it’s infested with roaches, my hvac doesn’t work, plumbing doesn’t work, no blinds and screens. The manager doesn’t do anything but put me off. So I withheld the rent and now they want to evict me. I’m 62 and can’t afford to move again. Will the judge make them fix my place and let me stay

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just moved into an apartment 4/6/19 and discovered that it’s infested with roaches, my hvac doesn’t work, plumbing doesn’t work, no blinds and screens. The manager doesn’t do anything but put me off. So I withheld the rent and now they want to evict me. I’m 62 and can’t afford to move again. Will the judge make them fix my place and let me stay
You didn't notice any of these things when you viewed the apartment? I mean, ok, maybe the roaches were hiding and you just didn't think to try out the HVAC - but you MUST have known there were no blinds or screens.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What state is this?

Generally, there are rules about "withholding rent"...

What steps have you taken to document your problems? Is there a paper trail documenting that you have taken the legally appropriate steps toget the issue addressed? Have you notified the manager in writing when it became apparent that he was not addressing your concerns ASAP? Have you contacted the appropriate authorities in your area about some of these issues?

Sassyb

You didn't notice any of these things when you viewed the apartment? I mean, ok, maybe the roaches were hiding and you just didn't think to try out the HVAC - but you MUST have known there were no blinds or screens.
Was not shown the actual unit, it was a model

Sassyb

What state is this?

Generally, there are rules about "withholding rent"...

What steps have you taken to document your problems? Is there a paper trail documenting that you have taken the legally appropriate steps toget the issue addressed? Have you notified the manager in writing when it became apparent that he was not addressing your concerns ASAP? Have you contacted the appropriate authorities in your area about some of these issues?
I did notify them on paper and by phone repeatedly, I have taken pictures and video have phone records to show how often I call them, have gone into the office several times and spoke in person

Gail in Georgia

Have I missed where you posted what state you live in?
This matters. Some states do allow a tenant to withhold rent for REPAIRS not adequately addressed in time but very specific steps must be taken first to reach the level of simply withholding rent. Otherwise it appears you don't mind living with the roaches as long as you can do it rent free.

Gail

Sassyb

Have I missed where you posted what state you live in?
This matters. Some states do allow a tenant to withhold rent for REPAIRS not adequately addressed in time but very specific steps must be taken first to reach the level of simply withholding rent. Otherwise it appears you don't mind living with the roaches as long as you can do it rent free.

Gail
I just moved in this is my first month to pay rent. It is expensive to pick up and move. I’m 62 years old with medical problems. I have the rent to pay so not trying to live rent free. Just want a habitable place. I expected to have exactly that. I live in Las Vegas Nevada. Just needed advice not put downs

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just moved in this is my first month to pay rent. It is expensive to pick up and move. I’m 62 years old with medical problems. I have the rent to pay so not trying to live rent free. Just want a habitable place. I expected to have exactly that. I live in Las Vegas Nevada. Just needed advice not put downs
Nobody was putting you down.

quincy

Here is a link to the law in Nevada on rent withholding (NRS 118A.380):
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-118a.html#NRS118Asec380

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for adding your state: Nevada. Gail was pointing out that there is a process that must be followed when withholding rent, even if your reasons for doing so are legally valid.

Also, please reread and respond to FarmerJ's post.

Just Blue

No one was putting you down.

Which type of roaches do you have...The real big ones or the little German roaches? If it's the big ones...put roach motel down all over and plug your sinks when not in use. They come in through your bathroom and kitchen sinks...also the tub drain. Also pour boiling hot water down your drains.

Gail in Georgia

Many tenants are unaware that simply withholding rent may not be allowed in their state. In mine (Georgia) a tenant who withholds rent must place this in "escrow" with the court as a good faith gesture that they want to continue paying rent but have become frustrated that a repair they have adequately requested has not been addressed in a timely manner.
Failure to follow the states requirements can lead to an eviction over this matter.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">