• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Robbed at Gunpoint Under Employment (Which type of lawyer to seek)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chhet

Hi Everyone,

Pleasure to meet you all. Well, just as the title says, I had a friend who had a day off Monday and it appears that he was called into work to deliver food (because it was busy) during the heavy snow storm here in Maryland.
During his time at work, he was set up by some criminals who had called in to 'order pizza' only for him to deliver the pizza and to be robbed at gunpoint.

He had called his place of employment and notified them what had happened. They did not seem too concerned or offered any compensation to him. He called the cops and had a police report filed as well as the fingerprints to be collected from the car.

The damages include his brand new car being totaled and psychological trauma considering he's been having nightmares ever since the incident.

Would this be on the grounds to take this to court against the place of employment? and if so, which type of lawyer to contact?
Thanks in advance.

FlyingRon

She skipped a lot. She needs to have her boyfriend come here with the actual details or send him to an attorney. I'm not sure why the employer has any liability at all for a criminal act by others. However, perhaps there is something in the details omitted.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She skipped a lot. She needs to have her boyfriend come here with the actual details or send him to an attorney. I'm not sure why the employer has any liability at all for a criminal act by others. However, perhaps there is something in the details omitted.
I can see some work-comp liability here for the psychological services.

chhet

He had been robbed for his wallet, then soon after the thieves would try to go into his car and steal it but only ended up hitting a guard rail, damaging his car.

quincy

Your friend's real complaint is against the ones who robbed him at gunpoint.

Have they been arrested?

His car insured?

Does he have medical expenses?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The story is still missing details. Your friend should start with a work-comp attorney to discuss matters relating to his psychological issues. Of course, he should also seek medical/psychological help for those issues.

chhet

We'll contact a workers comp attorney to see where we can go from here. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this.
Cheers!

PayrollHRGuy

Actually where you start is by filing a workers compensation report through his employer or directly with the state should the employer refuses to allow it.

quincy

We'll contact a workers comp attorney to see where we can go from here. I appreciate everyone's feedback on this.
Cheers!
Your friend will need to have injuries for which he can be compensated. If he is having nightmares (understandable under the circumstances), he will need to seek out psychological treatment.

The employer is not responsible for the car damage. That should be covered by his car insurance.

If/when the police arrest the thieves and they are convicted, the thieves might be ordered by a court to pay restitution (although payments can be small and extended over a long period of time).

Pizza delivery drivers are at a high risk of being robbed. It can be a dangerous job.

FlyingRon

His insurance may not cover this business use of the car, but again all this is conjecture without having any real details of what happened, just the second hand observations that are couched with words like "appears."

quincy

His insurance may not cover this business use of the car, but again all this is conjecture without having any real details of what happened, just the second hand observations that are couched with words like "appears."
I know some auto insurance policies will exclude from coverage certain car uses, which can include pizza delivery.

Here is a link to Maryland Workers Compensation information:
http://www.wcc.state.md.us/gen_info/wcc_benefits.html

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, that I can agree with. But two days later, of course he's having nightmares. It's still WAY too soon to say if there's going to be any long term damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">