• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rock & Roll star claiming autograph authenticated by TWO eBay-endorsed companies is not real.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No one can look at something they signed 20 or 30 years ago and positively identify it as not their own.
That's the second time that you've made such a definitive statement. You are wrong. I am able to easily identify my signature (and it's variations) from 15-20 years ago. Even farther back (although I've never had to).

FlyingRon

Actually, it is pretty easy in some cases. Some sports figures, for example, don't sign random stuff. If it's not one of the league balls or whatever, they know it's not theres.

But it does NOT matter one WHIT if he signed it or not. He's free to state that it's not his signature even if he knows that to be false.

quincy

And therein lies the sole problem for AutographSeller. He has an autograph of a celebrity who says it is not his signature.

Unless AutographSeller has some evidence beyond the autograph, and authentication certificates based only on signature comparisons, to prove authenticity, he cannot easily dispute the celebrity's statement that it is not his.

And he is not going to be able to sell the autograph on eBay if eBay won't let him.

He has no one to sue and no legal action to take.

As a side note: When my mother was a teen, she corresponded with Beatle George Harrison's mom. George's mom eventually set her up with a neighbor girl as a pen pal but before doing so she sent my mother letters from George and photos of George. The "autographs" have evidence to support their authenticity. That same type of history is missing in much if not most of the memorabilia being marketed by autograph sellers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">