• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rodent infestation!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsMesha

What is the name of your state? Texas

Lease signed in Sept.'03. The day of move-in found a dead mouse smashed in attic door. A week after move in found another mouse, alive, by fridge and had to kill it. Put down rodent repellants(green pebbles) to help with rodent problem. Behind the house sits a bayou. After terrible rains and flooding in Nov.'03 started seeing more rats. Put down rat poisoning and so far have killed FOUR rats!!!! Personal property is being damaged by rodents i.e. food, furniture and applicances. Contacted owner via phone and in writing concerning problem. Owner hasnt did NOTHING to help with the problem even though lease says that owner is responsible for extermination of property. What is my next move? Can I break this lease and get my security deposit back? Can I sue in civil court for my propery that has been damaged due to rodent infestation? I really feel the owner knew of this rodent problem due to the fact that he lived here for over 12yrs!!! Will it be hard to prove deceptive practice in this situation? He NEVER told us of this problem, NEVER!! Help!! I need to know what are my options in this matter.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Mmmmmm. Them thar rats is good eatin'! Yummmeeeee.

Would you like a terrific recipe? After you try it, you'll be beggin' them rats to come visit you. Fresh meat "on the hoof"!

Rat Hunter's Stew

Ingredients:

2 One pound rats
1 cup vinegar
1 onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 season salt
leaves from 3 stalks celery
4 carrots, diced
4-12 red potatoes (depending on size)

Wash dressed rats thoroughly and cut into serving pieces. Combine vinegar, onion, salt, and pepper in deep plastic container. Add rats and enough water to cover. Let stand 3 hours. Remove rats and place in a roasting pan, brown in 375ºF oven. Add seasoned salt, celery leaves, carrots, and potatoes. Again cover with water. Cover pan and continue cooking until tender. Serves 2 to 3.

IAAL

Last edited:

dequeendistress

Since the rats are not listed on the lease you may be charged additional rental for unreported occupants...(or a pet deposit)

Seriously, did you report the rats to the landlord in writing RRR?

Bigfoot

If your town or city is large enough, it may have either a housing or inspections dept. who can assist you, in either getting the owner's attention (and cooperation) or assist you in the legal strategies needed to leave the facility.

Also consider your county government's public health dept., because such an unsanitary condition as you explain it, is also dangerous.

M

MsMesha

Guess I need to call my visitors that Im having for Christmas and tell them to bring additional gifts for the "uninvited" guest. When I tell you these things are BOLD, a noisy house dont scare them into hiding, they just come out in the middle of the floor and look at you like,"Where's the cheese lady???"

LOL.........Now that was funny!! I AM ALWAYS LIABLE.......They may be good eatin for some but NAH!! Im gonna pass on the Rat Hunter's Stew.

dequeendistress.....I wish he would try to charge me additional deposits.......lol. Answer to your question, No I didnt send it RRR, I enclosed it with my rent. I will send him another one RRR, thanks for that advice.

Bigfoot and queenofsand....Thanks so much for that helpful advice. Im researching and reading alot of info right now. Thanks so much!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">