• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roof/gutter repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kayell

What is the name of your state? Florida
I signed a $500 contract to 1) install flashing/di verter on upper roof, 2) replace tile and damaged wood on lower roof below item1, and 3) seal gutter at back of house.
The roofer only did item1) since they said that nothing is damaged on lower roof..just mold stains. No attempt was made with #3

So, I feel that I should pay less since less labor and materials were involved in repair. The contractor says that I owe him the total since he did the repair period and that his minimum is $500
The contrat work was itemized as above but not priced individually. Nowhere on his contract does it say $500 min.

Do I still owe him the full amount?

JETX

Though I certainly understand your issue of 'reduced work' should equal reduced pay, but that is not necessary correctly applied here. The key will be in the actual wording of your agreement. For example, it could be worded such as a 'lump sum' job with no reduction, or it could be worded as a 'piece job' which could allow reason for a reduced amount.

I suggest you have a local attorney review the agreement and try to resolve the dispute.

And finally, even if you dispute the amount, you need to pay it, then consider litigation to recover your 'damages'. FL (as most states) allows a contractor to place a lien on your property for non-payment of contract work. By paying it with your rights noted, you prevent the lien... and still preserve your right to sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">