• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofer not honoring guarantee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

92ad

West Virginia,

I got a new roof put on my house about 4 months ago, when the roof was installed the roofer wrote clearly on the contract 5 year labor guarantee, 1st year free, 4 year prorate. Recently there was a pretty bad storm, wind got up to around 60 mph at the highest, and about a quarter square of my shingles came off, along with some more that are noticeably loose and now come up when wind hits them. I called the company that installed my roof to come check it out the next morning, when they did they said they would order in new shingles and fix the problem. The only problem is that he said because the wind caused this I was going to have to pay for the shingles and the labor that I believed to be covered with the guarantee. I'm just wondering if I have any ground to argue this payment for labor with him.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Properly installed shingles can withstand 60 mph winds. The roofer is full of BS.

You have two options:

1 - Get a roofing expert to examine the installation and write you a report, documented with close up photographs. Make sure he is qualified to testify in court as an expert. Then present that report to the roofing company. If they still won't stand behind the warranty, have the repairs done by somebody else then sue.

2 - Have your insurance company cover the repairs and let them go after the roofer for reimbursement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP is going to need to have evidence from other professionals showing that the shingles were improperly installed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">