• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room & Board

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kd662

I live in New York State and attend a business school that does not provide or offer housing or food services. Is it legal for them to charge me for room & board expenses?

PayrollHRGuy

I live in New York State and attend a business school that does not provide or offer housing or food services. Is it legal for them to charge me for room & board expenses?
Are you sure the school is not providing those services and you are simply not taking advantage of them?

Have you spoken to the school administration about this?

quincy

Is it legal for the business school to charge for room and board? Possibly. More information would be helpful.

Kd662

I am certain they do not provide or offer these services. And no I haven’t gone to admin about this yet, I wanted inquire the legality of it before I directly questioned them

Kd662

There’s nothing in the contract stating room & board, and nothing in the estimated expense portion of the contract. I only found that they are charging me this because I received an email with my loan and financial aid amounts on it and under the anticipated expenses section of that it stated $3740 for room & board, and $1192 for transportation that I also don’t receive

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did the school say when you asked them about this?

EDIT: Yes, I know you haven't talked to them yet. You need to talk to them.

PayrollHRGuy

You need to contact the school administration and discuss the matter. It is not legal to charge you or more critically financial aid for something they don't even offer.

This well could be a clerical error, hence TALK TO THE ADMINISTRATION.

Kd662

That’s what I figured too and will question admin, it’s not the first issue I’ve had with them, I caught them double charging me for books in my second semester and they gave me a lame excuse. There are very questionable things constantly happening there with many of the students.

quincy

Have you checked to see if the business school is under investigation by the NY Attorney General?

Kd662

I haven’t, I don’t really know how to go about that or who to contact on this matter, I have google the school and found that at one point there were attempts to file a class action against them but no info on what became of it and many complaints with BBB about them unfortunately this was after I caught them double charging for books so I was already signed and attending, Had I know then what I know now I would have never signed with them. I do believe they need to be investigated but am not sure of what steps to take with any of it. That’s why I came here for advice.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There’s nothing in the contract stating room & board, and nothing in the estimated expense portion of the contract. I only found that they are charging me this because I received an email with my loan and financial aid amounts on it and under the anticipated expenses section of that it stated $3740 for room & board, and $1192 for transportation that I also don’t receive
Your student loans and other student aid are calculated using certain allowances for tuition, books, fees, and room and board. That does not mean that the school is providing you those services; it simply means that your loan or scholarship amount was computed using allowances for room and board so you can get the funds to pay for that. What the school is charging you should be on the bill you get from the school. Look at that and compare it to what the financial aid allowed to see what you are paying for and whether there should be extra money left over from the aid to go to you to pay for room and board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">