• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room condemned by the state i was renting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lacidelaina

so I live in Maryland (Mongomery county) and the room i was renting in a house was condemned byt the state for being illegal use of rental (landlord didnt have a license either. that was march 28th. That evening coming home from work i had to immedietly remove my self from using it as a bedroom and had to sleep in living room
i also have two small children and had to send them elsewhere bc of this and it was shared house with other renters, i found a place the same weekend and spent the whole week trying to pack up while still working full time and finally moved out this weekend.
my landlord is trying to charge me for the week of me moving out, BUT MY ROOM WAS CONDEMNED is that right? also should he owe me for the 28th to the 31st of rent that i had already paid bc i was basically kicked out of my room

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
so I live in Maryland (Mongomery county) and the room i was renting in a house was condemned byt the state for being illegal use of rental (landlord didnt have a license either. that was march 28th. That evening coming home from work i had to immedietly remove my self from using it as a bedroom and had to sleep in living room
i also have two small children and had to send them elsewhere bc of this and it was shared house with other renters, i found a place the same weekend and spent the whole week trying to pack up while still working full time and finally moved out this weekend.
my landlord is trying to charge me for the week of me moving out, BUT MY ROOM WAS CONDEMNED is that right? also should he owe me for the 28th to the 31st of rent that i had already paid bc i was basically kicked out of my room
I agree with you on the one week of rent, and you're probably right about the 28th-31st. You should also check your state's statutes to see if your (former) landlord owes you anything for moving expenses. I'm not saying that he does, but it's worth looking in to.

FarmerJ

Get a copy of the condemnation order from your city so you have it for your records , then Tell the LL in a written on real paper letter he owes you full refund of your deposit and x amount for the days of rent you paid for but didn't get to use due to the condemnation and condemnation means he cant charge rent for that space anymore since the city says it cant be used as a bedroom. Keep a copy , staple the copy to your certified mail receipt and if you have to sue him to get your deposit back do it, Im pretty sure as a judge sees your copy of the condemnation order Im fairly sure the judge will not be very pleased with him.

adjusterjack

I agree you don't owe him anything and certainly shouldn't pay. As for the two days you already paid for are you willing to go to small claims court for it. If yes, go for it. If no, chalk it up to experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">