• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

room mate leaves a mess and large outstanding debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



washington state roommate left owing 2 months rent, approx 500.00 in phone and other utilities that are in my name. in process left with many items that were not theirs, but belonged to my children instead and the last attempt at rent was a check that came back as account closed. our agreement was verbal but witnessed, what am I able to recover? thanks



well you will have to sue in small claims court for the bounced check...and get a judgment....

But without anything written down, who is a judge gonna belive if she shows up in court?

Does the check show YOUR address on it, then that could be proof she lived with you.


the check was drawn on an account that had been closed. Isn't that fraud? at the bottom she had written "RENT" so I feel it is clear. And as to our verbal agreement, there is a credible witness to the agreement that would testify.
what about the items taken without permission? my sons bed is one of the items

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential