• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate Appears to Be Bailing..Need Info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

I am the landlord of a home in Texas, I have two tenants under contract. One of the tenants has complained several times that she dislikes the other tenant that recently moved in because she is female and that she hates other females. I obviously cannot terminate the other tenant's lease because she is strictly female. Both females have their own rooms as well as bathrooms.

It has recently come to my attention that the other roomate is in the process of moving out behind my back. What recourse do I have? The tenant has 12 month lease.

As a goodwill gesture I have offered to allow the complaining tenant to break the lease in exchange for couple months advanced rent. She refused this offer.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

mark1210 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I am the landlord of a home in Texas, I have two tenants under contract. One of the tenants has complained several times that she dislikes the other tenant that recently moved in because she is female and that she hates other females. I obviously cannot terminate the other tenant's lease because she is strictly female. Both females have their own rooms as well as bathrooms.

It has recently come to my attention that the other roomate is in the process of moving out behind my back. What recourse do I have? The tenant has 12 month lease.

As a goodwill gesture I have offered to allow the complaining tenant to break the lease in exchange for couple months advanced rent. She refused this offer.

Thanks!
**A: are both tenants under a single lease agreement as joint tenants or are they under separate leases?

mark1210

Correct, its near campus so its 4 bedroom 3 bath home. 1 bedroom and 1 bath for one tenant, one bedroom and one bath for the other tenant.

mark1210

Thank you, does she skipping tenant have any recourse at all? She claims that it is my duty to provide a hostile free living environment. And she also claims her attorney said such. Her premises (the room she was paying for along with the bathroom) have remained hers and were always private. As for the common space...well that is common to all. I just see no way she has a case..maybe you guys do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">