• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hey All,

I need some advice, thinking about letting my friends friend move into my apartment. I am already a resident there and per my lease I must add another person on as an occupant if they will be there more than 7 days. I am weary about doing so incase things go South. Since I will be on the lease and she will be on as an occupant can I kick her out at anytime should the need arise? For instance, her not paying the agreed upon rent, etc.

Thanks!

Assuming your landlord approves of adding this person to the lease, you will have to treat her as a tenant, giving proper notice before proceeding to evict. You won't be able to say, "get out by noon Saturday"--it's not as simple as that.

A friend of a friend...think long and hard before adding this person to your lease. These situations have a tendency to turn into chaotic rental dramas. Do a quick search on this site--the archives provide a peek into your future. :)

B

Born to Lease

Your Post has YOUR answers...but if you really need to hear it again...

mark1210 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Hey All,

I need some advice, thinking about letting my friends friend move into my apartment.

*****Why can't the friend let his/her friend move in with him/her??? That is #1.

******The fact this is the 2nd issue stated on the Lease Contract (LC) should tell you something!!! READ the numerous posts on this forum BEFORE you make any decisions...and go with the decision that makes sense, no matter what!!! (IS your friend going to bail you out of a credit nightmare is his/her friend stiffs you, like so many roommates have done throughout the years??? DO NOT COUNT ON IT!!!)

I am already a resident there and per my lease I must add another person on as an occupant if they will be there more than 7 days. I am weary about doing so incase things go South. Since I will be on the lease and she will be on as an occupant

*****Has the Management already provided you with WRITTEN assurance that she will be added as an occupant??? Many companies in TX do NOt allow persons over the age of 18 to be added as occupants; but rather, everyone over the age of 18 who lives in the rented dwelling must be listed as a resident which would give her equal rights to occupancy of the apartment.

can I kick her out at anytime should the need arise?

******NO!

For instance, her not paying the agreed upon rent, etc.

*******IF in fact you are able to add this person (if you decide to risk EVERYTHING--after you read the numerous posts on this forum that should tell you NOT TO DO IT!!!) as an OCCUPANT rather than a responsible party, the Management would NOT get involved whatsoever with collecting any monies from her; nor would the Management get involved in "evicting" her...without evicting YOU also!

********IF she is added as a Resident, a responsible party to the LC, there is still no guarantee the Management will be able to collect her portion of the rent. AND worse, in the event she does not pay, or she violates the rules or policies, etc. they will evict BOTH OF YOU, and both of you would EACH be 100% responsible for the LC...read page 4, paragraph 29 "Multiple Residents or Occupants" of your LC--if you signed a TAA Lease...

********Also, are they going to provide you with the TAA "Roommate Amendment" form??? This form provides you with as much protection as you could hope for, so be sure and find out if the Management of your apt. community uses this form whenever a roommate is added or moves out.

********You can have a written contract between you and the new roommate, but have you heard the old saying about "squeezing blood out of a turnip"???

Thanks!
Your welcome!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">