• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate deposit withholding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanLoz

Ohio

Roommate has been holding my deposit money of $650 and has no plans to pay me. The landlord was given the deposit through him with venmo. I have pics that I paid him a few days later with Venmo and he has commented on it as well. They gave him the money back through a check, in which I said not to which they agreed on since I have cut contact with him. I have tried to contact him through text and IG. He has left the IG on seen so I know he knows I want it back. I am writing an email to him as a last ditch effort for out of court dealings. How good are my chances?

Just Blue

Ohio

Roommate has been holding my deposit money of $650 and has no plans to pay me. The landlord was given the deposit through him with venmo. I have pics that I paid him a few days later with Venmo and he has commented on it as well. They gave him the money back through a check, in which I said not to which they agreed on since I have cut contact with him. I have tried to contact him through text and IG. He has left the IG on seen so I know he knows I want it back. I am writing an email to him as a last ditch effort for out of court dealings. How good are my chances?
Were you on the lease as well?

quincy

Sorry, I should have said this here: Yes, We are both on the lease and both have signed it. He needed a co-signer.
If he is avoiding you now, the chances of him continuing to avoid you are pretty good.

You might have to sue to recover your share of the deposit. Perhaps just being served with a summons and complaint will spur him into a speedy payment.

DanLoz

If he is avoiding you now, the chances of him continuing to avoid you are pretty good.

You might have to sue to recover your share of the deposit. Perhaps just being served with a summons and complaint will spur him into a speedy payment.
I'm new to this all. Is there any possible walkthrough on how to make sure I do this right? Or if you can give me one? Anything is appreciated!

zddoodah

How good are my chances?
I'm at a loss to understand how anyone here could have any insight into the likelihood that your former roommate will pay your share of the deposit. You'll likely have to take him to small claims court.

Is there any possible walkthrough on how to make sure I do this right? Or if you can give me one? Anything is appreciated!
Google "[the county in which you shared the premises with your former roommate] ohio small claims court."

quincy

I'm at a loss to understand how anyone here could have any insight into the likelihood that your former roommate will pay your share of the deposit. ...
Past actions often are good indicators of future actions.

If you bet on a horse race, for example, you generally will look at several factors but the most important one can be past performance (win-loss record). That said, my wife bets on a horse because she likes the horse’s name and she is incredibly lucky with that method. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">