• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate has left me with numerous bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jumpuphigh

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My roommate has moved out without paying the last two months worth of utilities. She gave me a bad check as a partial payment and says that since she moved out early she wasn't giving me any more. (Which is ironic since her account has had insufficient funds for two weeks so I have received nothing.) Additionally, her half of the apartment was trashed. I paid to have it cleaned so it would be usable. The rug will either need to be cleaned or replaced. My landlord refused to take her off the lease without my approval (and me releasing her from responsibility for the condition of the apartment). I have taken photos of the condition she left the apartment in. She has ignored all attempts on my part to contact her. She had called demanding that I release her from the lease but once I left a message about the state of the apartment and the state of her account she has been ignoring me. She did not leave a forwarding address and I am still receiving her mail. I do know where she works. What is my next step? Small claims court seems like a big pain. I think that I should send certified letters to both my landlord and her but really would like some advice concerning this mess. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">