• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate leaving during lease term

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mobbdeep

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hello,

My current roommate and I signed a 13 month lease with our current apartment we are in now which started July 31st, 2020. I am under the impression at some point during the lease, they will be moving out. I am wondering if there's anything that can be done in regards to them abandoning their part of the lease early. I already have a feeling that the apartment complex won't care as long as someone who is on the lease still remains there and there's no actual lease broken on our behalf. I plan on staying but they are possibly going to be leaving.

Is there anything that can be done or will be done if they were to leave the apartment? Both of our names are on the lease and we both signed it.

Thanks!

eerelations

And if paying the full rent for X months bothers you, you need to find a new roommate right away - someone who will pay the old roommate's rent and who is acceptable to your landlord. This will take work, so get busy now!
So...waste of time. Post history.

mobbdeep

Landlords check references so if someone has bailed early on a lease in the past, a prospective landlord is apt to learn about it.

I hope mobbdeep’s issue with his last landlord was resolved to that landlord’s satisfaction. Otherwise mobbdeep might find he has difficulty renting in the future. https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/sublet-fell-thru.659646/
I already got that sorted out with the issue in that thread and was meaning to update it. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time. I'm not worried about paying rent by myself. This was a question about the roommate who is planning to leave. Does anything happen to them? But you guys answered that and I figured as long as I remain here in the new apartment and continue the lease, nothing will happen to them or me... only if the actual lease is broken on behalf of both of us which I'm not doing.

In addition, I'm already in the new apartment. The issue that was going on with the house that I posted about is already taken care of and wasn't a thing until after I moved into the new apartment.

Last edited:

quincy

I already got that sorted out with the issue in that thread and was meaning to update it. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time. I'm not worried about paying rent by myself. This was a question about the roommate who is planning to leave. Does anything happen to them? But you guys answered that and I figured as long as I remain there and continue the lease, nothing will happen to them or me... only if the actual lease is broken on behalf of both of us which I'm not doing.

In addition, I'm already in the new apartment. The issue that was going on with the house that I posted about is already taken care of and wasn't a thing until after I moved into the new apartment.
Thanks for the update on your other rental, mobbdeep. I am glad that is no longer a concern.

And you and your current roommate should not have a problem with this rental as long as rent payments are made on time.

Good luck.

zddoodah

Random question: are you uncertain of your roommate's gender? If not, why do you refer to him/her as "they" and "them"?

I am under the impression at some point during the lease, they will be moving out. I am wondering if there's anything that can be done in regards to them abandoning their part of the lease early.
I'm not really sure what you're contemplating here. You didn't say why you think your roommate might do this -- especially since you're not even four weeks into the thirteen month lease term. However, as long as the rent gets paid, your landlord won't care. If the rent doesn't get paid, then the landlord will presumably start eviction proceedings and sue the two of you for any unpaid rent.

Don't supposed you and your roommate entered into a contract that governs your rights and obligations with respect to each other. Did you?

This was a question about the roommate who is planning to leave. Does anything happen to them?
Whether your roommate stays or leaves, thousands of things will happen to him/her. Thousands of things will also happen to you.

I'm typically loathe to engage in hypotheticals, but let's say that your roommate moves out and stops paying rent, but you pay the full rent. You could then sue your former roommate for his/her share of the rent, subject to your obligation to mitigate damages by finding a new roommate.

quincy

Random question: are you uncertain of your roommate's gender? If not, why do you refer to him/her as "they" and "them"?

I'm not really sure what you're contemplating here. You didn't say why you think your roommate might do this -- especially since you're not even four weeks into the thirteen month lease term. However, as long as the rent gets paid, your landlord won't care. If the rent doesn't get paid, then the landlord will presumably start eviction proceedings and sue the two of you for any unpaid rent.

Don't supposed you and your roommate entered into a contract that governs your rights and obligations with respect to each other. Did you?
A lot of posters use “they” and “them” as a way to preserve some anonymity. It is not really necessary but many do this anyway. Nothing unusual or worthy of note.

mobbdeep seems to have everything under control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">