• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roommate left before lease over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfelaine

I live in NC and shared a 3 bedroom with 2 other females. We all signed a 1 year lease at the same time. All of our names are one lease. One girl moved out without paying $350 in rent. Our Landlord stated she can evict us or we can sue the girl who left. If we do sue the girl who left how will that affect my chance of renting an apartment in my name in the future? If we lose, does that judgement go on some record somewhere that future leasing agents have access to?

Also we have called our landlord, left at least 20 messages and sent her letters in the past 4 months because there is a missing window screen and faulty toilet in the house. She hasn't called back.What obligation does the landlord have to fix items in the house? Can we withold rent, considering that "we" (me and the other girl left) still "owe" her?

This site and your knowledge are the answer to my prayers.

HomeGuru

You have another option and that is to pay the amount that the girl that left did not pay. If you lose the case, other people may have access to the information.

Read your State L/T laws with respect to how to handle repairs needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">