• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate may be skipping out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c7g9hawaii

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Hawaii
roommate stated that we should move to a bigger house. We all did so upon her persuasion. She has poor credit, so the lease is not in her name, never was at old house, not at new house of 3 weeks. She started talking of moving back to the mainland. Meanwhile, I said she had to take some accountability for living here. Lease states no subletting. Lease is in mine and another roommates name. I created a lease agreement for 6 months for the poor credit roommate. Fact is, I would not have moved here if it weren't for her convincing me to do so. Now she is thinking about "moving to the mainland". I told her she HAS to take accountability for this place. Will my created lease agreement, bought at officemax, hold her to 6 months of her share of rent/utilities? Also, she put down her 1/3 of deposit for the place. Can I keep that until the lease is up on 8/31/06? I put that as a provision in the written lease agreement I bought at omax. Also, if she refuses to sign the self created lease agreement bought at omax, can I kick the person out and keep the deposit? I don't want to be thrown for a loop or played for a fool by someone.
Thanks for your advice!

Who's Liable?

If she signed a lease agreement with you, then she must abide by it... If there was no lease agreement, she needs to give 30-days notice to vacate the unit, or you need to give one to her... You should let her do it since she is the one who wants to move out... Do not tell her that she needs to give notice, it is her responsibility to make sure she complies with the LL/T laws of your state...

If she moves but does not give her notice, simply charge her for two months rent... The 30-days that she would neet to give plus the 30-days that she would be serving...

you might run into a little tricky spot with the no sub-leasing part though... Other here will chime in...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">