• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate Moving Out Claims she Never Signed Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlv1023

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Yesterday I got the wonderful (harhar) news from my roommate that she is putting her thirty day notice in and expects her deposit (which barely covers her rent) to be used towards rent for the month of November. I am subleasing to her, and asked her to sign a contract identical to the one my land lord and I signed when I moved in. She said she wanted to have her lawyer look over it, and I never asked for the signed copy back (my dumb fault... ). In the lease that we went over it clearly states that the deposit shall not be used in lieu of the final months rent. She has written me a note stating that she never signed a lease, and does not expect or know the guidelines that we originally went over. What rights does she have in this situation, and what rights do I have? Can I have her removed from my property if there is no written legally binding agreement between us?

The frustrating part is she had verbally agreed on a six month lease with month to month after that, I put her deposit in a six month CD. (Six months would be the middle of December) Also, I will be out of town during the time she expects me to move in a new roommate. Having her move out now will be a large financial problem for me, from the extra rent, the lower cost of living in my area during the winter, and so forth. I would prefer to have her move out by the end of the next week so that my chances of finding another room/housemate is higher, is that legally possible? There have been no confrontations between the two of us since she moved in, and I've responded to every concern she has had. She also purchased household belongings that were destroyed in a sewage incident, which were reimbursed by my landlord. I purchased these originally, who has legal ownership? Any insight into how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm confused, disappointed, and emotionally distraught.

To sum it up---
Does she have any right to be here without paying rent if she did not sign a legal document?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Yesterday I got the wonderful (harhar) news from my roommate that she is putting her thirty day notice in and expects her deposit (which barely covers her rent) to be used towards rent for the month of November. I am subleasing to her, and asked her to sign a contract identical to the one my land lord and I signed when I moved in. She said she wanted to have her lawyer look over it, and I never asked for the signed copy back (my dumb fault... ). In the lease that we went over it clearly states that the deposit shall not be used in lieu of the final months rent. She has written me a note stating that she never signed a lease, and does not expect or know the guidelines that we originally went over. What rights does she have in this situation, and what rights do I have? Can I have her removed from my property if there is no written legally binding agreement between us?

The frustrating part is she had verbally agreed on a six month lease with month to month after that, I put her deposit in a six month CD. (Six months would be the middle of December) Also, I will be out of town during the time she expects me to move in a new roommate. Having her move out now will be a large financial problem for me, from the extra rent, the lower cost of living in my area during the winter, and so forth. I would prefer to have her move out by the end of the next week so that my chances of finding another room/housemate is higher, is that legally possible? There have been no confrontations between the two of us since she moved in, and I've responded to every concern she has had. She also purchased household belongings that were destroyed in a sewage incident, which were reimbursed by my landlord. I purchased these originally, who has legal ownership? Any insight into how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm confused, disappointed, and emotionally distraught.

To sum it up---
Does she have any right to be here without paying rent if she did not sign a legal document?
**A: she is considered a month to month tenant. So read the law on how to deal with her.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

In the absence of a lease, a tenant is considered to be on a month to month tenancy. As such, she needs to give at least 30 days notice of vacating the rental.

This does not mean your tenant gets to decide that she can use her security deposit for the last month of rent. She doesn't, although you can if you wish. This would not be a good idea as it would leave you nothing should she leave the rental with damage above that of normal wear and tear.

You, on the other hand, cannot simply remove her from the property; this would be an illegal eviction.

Gail

mlv1023

Thank you for your post.

On another note-- if she refuses to pay me this months rent as a month to month renter, what can options do I have?

BL

Plus ,

Are you joking ?

She also purchased household belongings that were destroyed in a sewage incident, which were reimbursed by my landlord. I purchased these originally, who has legal ownership?

mlv1023

It may seem petty but I wish I was... the total value of the merchandise replaced was about $400. I'm a "starving" college student, so that's a considerable debt for me to cover on top of everything else.

CourtClerk

It may seem petty but I wish I was... the total value of the merchandise replaced was about $400. I'm a "starving" college student, so that's a considerable debt for me to cover on top of everything else.
Well, you may want to figure out a way to eat because those items are hers and she should take them with her when she leaves. Just like she would take the rest of her property.

BL

If you had a problem with this , then you should have been addressing it with your Landlord .

I also bet that you can not prove that you had previously purchased these items,what their worth was , and that they were furnished with the sublease .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">